Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Surrey

themaninthesuitcase

Hi everyone! I'm Chris and have been a long time lurker on SGL and thought it was time to raise my head as I begin the final stretch into my 1st telescope.

I live in a light pollution hot spot 250m from the M25 with Heathrow about 10 miles to the north filling the sky with light. You should see the colour of the clouds at night......

I used to be very interested in the stars as a child but this faded as the years went on. Recently through my main hobby of photography (Wildlife mainly) I have started to get back into astro and over the last 18 months or so have been slowly starting to learn more about the night sky. I have taken a large interest in astro photography and loved the APOTY book which has inspired me to do more.

I also come from heritage, my sister just submitted a PhD using data from the Herschel Space Telescope, apparently the answer was "red". She's also done a stint on Mauna Kea manning the JCMT. She's the proper astronomer in this family I just like looking at things!

My current images aren't up to much, mainly as getting to good skys is difficult for me, but I spent the last week working on photographing the ISS. I documented my adventures here: http://www.cpearson....-space-station/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome.

Making every photon count is on my to buy list but I feel I should pay my dues on a smaller scope before rushing out an getting a large aperture tube and solid mount. The images can always come later.

Currently I'm trying to work out the pros and cons of the smaller newtonian and cassgrain GOTOs that seem to be the good toe dip point for instant gratification (ie I have a 6yo who won't want to wait while I try find Jupiter in a dob).

Thanks for the welcome.

Making every photon count is on my to buy list but I feel I should pay my dues on a smaller scope before rushing out an getting a large aperture tube and solid mount. The images can always come later. Currently I'm trying to work out the pros and cons of the smaller newtonian and cassgrain GOTOs that seem to be the good toe dip point for instant gratification (ie I have a 6yo who won't want to wait while I try find Jupiter in a dob).

Include a SCT [rather than pure Cassegrain!] in your list - they're compact but powerful and usually come with goto and could piggyback a regular DSLR with modest lens :police:

Include a SCT [rather than pure Cassegrain!] in your list - they're compact but powerful and usually come with goto and could piggyback a regular DSLR with modest lens :police:

I think the nexstar 4SE is a SCT which is one under consideration, also are the 127 Maksutovs from Celestron and Skywatcher and the Skywatcher 130P AltAz but I'll probably start a thread elsewhere to get more detail. Need to figure out what I want to see first!

Welcome to SGL! I don't think you are too far away from me. Heathrow is a real pain isn't it? - My Northern sky is washed out. Fortunately I have a good view of the South to make up for it!

Regards

Richard

Archived