Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Field of view calculator v2

12dstring

You may have come across a field of view calculator I wrote over 5 years. It's by far the most popular thing I've written, and gets quite a lot of links from various SGL threads. It originally was just a simple calculator, but was expanded to something of a fov simulator.

I've been working on a new version on-and-off for some time now, and it's finally at a stage where it does something useful so would love to get some feedback.

If you'd like a play, it'd be great to get any feedback on the interface/useability or any suggestions for features you might find useful:

Field of View Calculator v2

fovcalc.jpg

I've rewritten it from scratch in a different language (Javascript/HTML5) so that it's faster and sleeker, and doesn't need to reload every time you change anything. The only downside is it won't work with older browsers (tested with Firefox 24, IE 10, Chrome 28 and Opera 12).

New working features

• Binocular mode (frequently requested)
  • Expanded and cleaned-up equipment database with over 1,200 different telescopes/cameras/eyepieces/binoculars
  • Show an image of any part of the sky (search using the simbad database, or by coordinates)
  • Images now draggable in eyepiece (and binoculars) mode
  • Images can be rotated and flipped
  • Simple click to edit focal length, pixel size..etc with instant update
  • Separate searchable menus for equipment make and model, with 'natural' sorting. (I sometimes get asked to add equipment that's already on the list, so I guess it's not too easy to always find them).

Things left to add from the original

• Planets/moon/sun + Caldwell catalogue and popular targets in colour
  • 'Add new equipment' feature (still thinking of the best way to manage this)
  • Help/FAQs

Planned new features

• Show constellation images
  • Save your setup for future visits
  • Swap some of the colour images with bigger/better/true colour ones
  • Change binning to S/M/L images size for DSLRs
  • Side-by-side comparison of two setups
  • Maybe make a version that works properly on mobile browsers

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often link to this fov calculator - a great tool to show various camera / scope combos. This new version is excellent. I love it that through Sinbad you can pick almost any target to see how it will fit and also that you can just put in coordinates.

A brilliant upgrade. Something that you can be proud of as such a useful tool for the astro community. Version 2 is even better.

Thank you Dave, I just want you to know that on a personal level I really appreciate the work you've put into this.

Just been playing and so far, this is a great upgrade! Already replaced your previous version on my bookmarks bar :) love the new simbad and bino options. One upgrade i think would be quite nice is to see the popular targets list extended when you get round to adding it. It would be quite handy just to flick through when deciding what to image next! Great job mate.

That looks very nice David. I've been working on something similar(ish) on and off in my spare time, but at the same time different. Mine is a desktop app, and will not have the imaging functionality but some different features instead.

It was fact when I saw your calculator and various others that inspired me. I had a quick play with it, considering it is alpha I can't say I had any hick ups with it, it seems to be working fine for me :)

Great work on this Dave,

Does look a whole lot slicker and performs nicely in firefox. Had to go back to the V1 to check CC/FR options and to manually add my qhy - though this stuff is really icing on the cake, it looks extremely useful and seems to work well. Really like the image flip and recenter options and the database of scopes and eps looks very extensive.

Took me a while to figure out I had to click on the various fields to change them.... perhaps make these stand out a little more

(Think that would answer StevieDvd's question above as well)

Other than that, looks great!

One other thing - could you do a selectable angle to rotate to, or add a 45 degree option?

David,

You have my eternal gratitude for taking the time to write this incredibly useful resource and the generosity to make it available to everyone. I liked the Mk1 and I love the Mk2.

If you're looking for some constructive (hopefully) feedback, may I make two suggestions.

The first would be to not have the selectors cover up the equipment data and target view when they are active. Poss. switch the Results tab to the left side, or run the equipment selections down the side of the page instead of at the top.

And if you're looking for new features, is an A <-> B view comparison between two configurations possible?

Again, thanks for the effort, it's hugely appreciated (wish I could write things like that :laugh: )

Great calculator - only thing I would find useful is some way (even as a text list) is to be able to save the data fields which would make it easier to transfer to other SW requiring these details ?

Used V1 a lot and this V2 looks great. Thanks for putting the work into this upgrade. Great job. Had a couple of blanks when using simbad even when it said it had found the image. Not a big issue though and this is now on my favourites list. Thanks

Archived