NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CTB1 - supernova remnant in Cassiopeia

swag72

Another very faint object and not imaged very often either (obviously for a reason!!) - One of only a few supernova remnants visible from the Northern hemisphere. This extended galactic supernova remnant CTB 1 in the constellation of Cassiopeia is one of the closest SNR's known lying at a distance of about 9,800 light-years away, measuring approximately 98 light-years across. Its age, based on its rate of expansion of the field structure would be between 7500 and 11000 years old. It also has the designation G116.9+0.2, PK 116.9+0.1 and LBN 576.

Details

M: HEQ5

T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x

C: Atik 460EX mono 3nm Ha

24x1800s with flats

I was planning on perhaps some colour for this, but, seeing the filamentary stuff above CTB1, I think I'm going to try for a mosaic. From what I can find out on the net, this is part of a new candidate remnant.

So, this is I suppose potentially a work in progress - We'll see how it goes. I'd welcome any comments you may have.

post-5681-0-53544200-1376130480_thumb.jp

Here's a link to the full res image - CTB1 (Abel 85) Supernova remnant

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, I am rather fond of seeing DSO's that go beyond the more popular targets. I had no idea that was even there! Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing it progress. I have to say, to see a colour version would be equally interesting too :)

Great image Sara :) AQnother one for the list :D Nice and high up too. All we need is a few hours of clear night skies :D I keep getting set up already to go when the clouds come in! :(

Thanks all for your comments.

@Robin - This isn't Sh2-188. It was catalogued by George Abell as a planetary nebula but it was suggested by van den Bergh in 1960 and comfirmed by Willis & Dickel in 1971 to be, not a planetary nebula but rather a galactic SNR whose emissions include signal in the optical and x-ray portions of the spectrum.

Phew, thank goodness for Google!!

Archived