Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do people handle large telescopes?

Hi everyone!

I've just yesterday for an Explorer 200p, and it's a lot heavier than my old 150, making it quite difficult to take outside, particularly with its wide tripod, and it's got me wondering how other people move large scopes like this.

Obviously, some people have observatories, but what do people do who don't?

David

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With my old 10" dob I used to take the tube off the mount and lay it on the bed, then carry the mount out followed by the tube. Sometimes I used to carry it whole but was a struggle. No easy way to carry a big telescope as far as I know

I wouldn't ever carry it out attached to the mount, the risk of tripping is to high and it would be a job getting it through the door. I leave the tube rings attached to the mount and take mount and ota out separately, only takes couple of minutes to set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just have to lug it in & out all the time.

I have got a C11,& wish i had bought

something a bit smaller.It sounds ok at

the time, when you buy it.Nice big scope.

My 4 " refractor get more use.You live &

learn. :bino2:

Steve.

When I had the 200P I thought it was heavy, but now as an owner of a Celestron C11 XLT (12Kg) and 6" refractor (11Kg) the 200P started to feel quite light in comparison.

The 6" refactor is fairly easy to mount mainly because it's grab-able and has a very nice handle which makes life much easier.

post-27451-0-68687200-1367080946_thumb.j

As for the C11, it's a bit awkward mounting it mainly because of the weight and it's uncomfortable shape. I attached an aluminum pull handle to Farpoint clamps and then ''clamped'' them to the Losmandy dovetail. Now it's easier to mount. I'm thinking about adding a third handle on the top...well, when time allows :)

C11 on NEQ6

I always carry the mount out first and then the tube.

This is quite a feat for a 14" dob but I don't have to carry it far and I'm too lazy to take the base apart and rebuild it so I move it as a single piece. Only weighs around 30kg on the base and maybe 25kg on the tube so not a huge ordeal :)

My 9.25" is heavy enough!!!

Before i built my obs i used to leave it outside, i'd rap it in a towel, cover that in bubble rap and bought a a scope coat from Green witch. Rain, heavy snow were no issues whatsoever.

If your garden is secure it might be an option. My obs is also a temporary structure, check out the link in my signature maybe you could do something like that.

One word of note.. if you have dogs you might want to be ready to give them a stern look before they decide to pee against it.

One word of note.. if you have dogs you might want to be ready to give them a stern look before they decide to pee against it.

Or a boot up the behind. I've had a neighbourhood cat do that in the past whilst the 'scope was out cooling!

The OTA is in a box in the shed, so it's a 2 step process for me.

Cheers

The cat peed on my eyepieces - twice! The second time I availed myself of the launch handle located at the rear of all but Manx cats...

But we digress. It may not be relevant in your situation but an idea I copied once (from Phil Harrington's Star Ware book) was to make a triangular wooden sled, or palette, to which my tripod, scope etc, were bolted down. Then I slipped a sack trolley under the sled and wheeled the lot into the garden where I had a locator baton attached so I just put the sled down against it and was polar aligned as a result. I did have a safety belt around the scope while it was on the hand truck.

This is a good system if you can store you scope in a shed or garage.

Altair Astro do some nice alloy carry handles, by the way.

Olly

When heading out to dark sites, I use this rather ingeneous tool: post-21324-0-06540000-1362625202_thumb.j.

It's called a RocknRoller. It's a musicians cart but I figured it would be perfect for astronomy. As can be seen, in normal use it's about 1m in length, but if I'm also taking out the frac and AZ4 I can stretch the cart to over 1.5m. It rides over just about everything: kerbs, scrub lands, ditches, solid floored deserts, mountain passes. went out last night for an all nighter and about 5am decided to get my head down for about 20 minutes. So long as you got a board (I use cardboard boxes) it makes an ideal rough and ready bed. Rock 'n Roll :headbang:

My SW200P feels small and light to me, I just lift them like plastic bucket. However, my 12" DX300 is another matter.

The OTA is 1.5 metres long, thick and heavy, the tube rings are also huge, the Vixen GP-DX Mount with counter weights is also heavy. They are carried one by one to the corner of the garden, and carefully assembled.

when finished gazing, they get disassembled and all goes back to the shed, apart from the OTA which I bring into the house, and stand at the corner of my study. Next morning, I feel as if I have done good bit of work out.

My ATLAS EQ-G mount is fairly heavy @ 125 ish pounds. I leave the 10" optical tube disconnected in the corner. I'll Lug the mount outside fully assembled (minus the tube) and just be careful going through the doorway. I can have everything out side and ready to image in 5 minutes. I only have to move it 15 feet, so it isn't bad.

Bloomin carefully!!. Nearly trashed my 10" lx200 setting it on the tripod for the first time, 70lb lump on top balancing with one hand underneath for the locking bolt, watched it tilt over in slow motion!... Bought a locator plate pretty darn quick...

I have your scope. I go to the gym. I also have a dolly to transport the mount if I am going a long distance, and I have a Geoptik bag for transporting the scope which cost me 90 quid. http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p173_Geoptik-Quilt-Bag-for-Newtons-to-8--aperture---F-1200mm.html I can wear the scope bag like a backpack while pulling the rest on the dolly. Having said that I take it to the tube, or the train station and that's about it.

With great difficulty. When trying to get my C9.25 ota onto the mount I invariably put my life in my hands. I've nearly dropped it a couple of times. You do need three hands, but until evolution gives me that crucial third hand I have to be very careful. I did recently buy a small clamp which attaches to the dovetail which makes life a little easier. Just basically take it all into the garden piece by piece and set it up in situ. How people with even bigger scopes manage, i'll never know.

Archived