SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet ISON update!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clear outside, Moon causing mayhem, only a matter of time before ISON appears, according to Stellarium nice and close to Spica, I am freezing all ready. Camera and 200mm lens ready, ISON, if by some miracle you possess the ability to read this, do not disappoint me.

Glad that it isn't just me struggling with the moon. Couldn't even find Lovejoy. Seeing deteriated to "hopeless" here for anything low/mid dec. thought that there was something wrong with my scope!

Jupiter was nice though.

Inside warming up.

Paul

Have just managed to find Lovejoy.  On the edge of naked eye visibility, due to the moon, but once you know where it is relatively easy to locate again.  It looked great in the 10 x 50s.  Spica is rising slowly but the moon is still flooding everywhere with light and dawn approaches.  Time for a quick caffeine intake before a last try. :smiley:

I did see something just to the south west of Spica.  Very faint in the binos and so I couldn't be certain whether it was ISON or not.  Dawn sky now getting bright so maybe another attempt when the moon is out of the way.

Found a good spot at work and had a scan with the 10 x 50's.

Horizon not too transparent. Spica not exactly sparkling. By 6am the horizon was brighting with the dawn, the bright moonlight wasn't helping.

I'm officially labeling Ison a pre-perihelion dud for me :(

Did find lovejoy though :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Lovejoy clear through the bins and 100mm refractor. Easy to find and a hint of a tail even with the moon. Some compensation for the ever difficult to find ISON. I think I saw it below Spica - seemed quite small and starlike. Can anyone confirm that? If not, then I didn't see it! Lightening skies and a few clouds have now stopped play.

Been out since 5.40am near Aldershot, Surrey with 10 x 30 bins....beautifully clear skies but pretty washed out from the moon. Walked down to village green for open Southern vista and forgot my maps! Fairly certain I was looking at an extremely faint ISON SW of Spica....no chance with Lovejoy without maps, although by the sounds of it, Lovejoy might have been the easier of the two to spot if I knew where to look! I did see a fantastic fireball/meteor radiating from the Plough towards Bootes at 5.58am. It left a naked-eye smoke trial for about 40 seconds that lit up beautifully in the moonlight when viewed through my binoculars....a first for me!

Checking through the pictures I managed to take, what a waste of time. ISON is there but splodgey, Lovejoy isn't too bad. Downside is I can barely move my right hand, little chilly this time of year eh. I really hope it surives the encounter with the sun but, I doubt it. "Comet of the century" HA!

Any meteor showers at the moment? Saw more than normal.

I did not see Ison in 10x50.  The conditions were patchy in that area. Lots of clear sky though. Spica was a bit hazy but then clear, looked in the area of Ison but nothing. It was now well after six and with sky brightening,  nice and clear but too bright -  6.30 ish to have a chance. Did have a sight of Mercury which was nice - orange yellow and bright.

Lovejoy still  a fine sight though - high in the belly of the Great Bear.   Still wondering on Ison...

andrew

Well done everyone for trying.  Sounds like I'm in very good company and we're all struggling;  even those with high power bins.  The Moon was very very bright this morning.

Verdict is unanimous:  Lovejoy saves the day in giving us a comet to enjoy while ISON continues to grab the headlines...........without any justification so far I might add!!!!   Ugh!  With the advancing Moon, I'm going to abandon ship on this one for November.   

I managed to get out with the English channel as my horizon again this morning. I found Lovejoy quite easily - a reasonable splodge in 10 x 50s and just a hint of tail in the dob. ISON was tricky this morning with some wisps of low cloud making it come & go initially. Couldn't see it reliably until about 5:50. Very disappointing compared to the moonless sky of Friday morning. I don't think I'll be re-visiting until post-perihelion.

Jupiter looked very crisp though. High in the sky and I think possibly benefiting from the reduced contrast the moon was giving.

I was up early to catch it this morning from the obs, but was most annoyed to find that shortly after rising it disappears behind my house, and most of the time before then was obscured by trees! I could just make it out with 8x32 binos.

Here's an animation of 10 x 1 minute unguided exposures through the trees just before it disappeared behind the house. The core seems to be very bright, and you can see how rapidly it has moved in relation to the nearby stars over just 10 minutes. Canon 450d, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian.

ison_2013_11_19a.gif

Archived