Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet ISON update!

Just looked at Ison on Lasco C3 (SOHO)

There looks to be a definate anti-Tail spiking out in front, with Ison over halfway in towards the sun from  the edge of

Lascos feild of view.   Superglue seems to be holding so far.

Mick

I think you'll find that is a saturation spike due to the the head of the comet being over-exposed in the image. A request has been sent to adjust the exposure. What it does mean is that ISON is brightening rapidly, currently between Mag -0.5 and -1

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good morning fellow isononins

well its d day crickey its exciting just seen she,s going about 398,000+mph and mag -2.05 soho images looking fantastic 

im on line all day here at work watching all the news been watching her progress since may so im really hopeing and praying she nip around the sun then puts on a fantastic show for us. good luck ison enjoy the ride 

Would be nice if they put some live stuff on the BBC news channel - I'm sure it would create some interest. 

andrew

I agree.  Although there was a short discussion live with an astro physicist (sorry can't remember her name) this morning on the sofa.  Unfortunately half of that discussion was derailed with one presenter asking along the lines of, Is it a danger to earth?  Answer given back was a resounding no.  Then a wasted opportunity for asking a good question to the expert the conversation went along the lines of, what damage would it cause if it something this size hit earth......YAWN!  

Of all the lines of questioning there could have been they went with this.  Surely with a limited window of opportunity like that to present a very unique topic to the general public with an expert in the field and presenting an irrelevant conversation for over half the slot time does not make sense.  Why do I get annoyed by things like this I ask myself ! 

I know we won't know for sure, but roughly how long will it take for us to see C/2012 S1 (can we please use it's real name) has passed the Sun? I have a wedding party to go to at around 19:30pm tonight (inconsiderate family member lol) but want to know.

I agree.  Although there was a short discussion live with an astro physicist (sorry can't remember her name) this morning on the sofa.  Unfortunately half of that discussion was derailed with one presenter asking along the lines of, Is it a danger to earth?  Answer given back was a resounding no.  Then a wasted opportunity for asking a good question to the expert the conversation went along the lines of, what damage would it cause if it something this size hit earth......YAWN!  

Of all the lines of questioning there could have been they went with this.  Surely with a limited window of opportunity like that to present a very unique topic to the general public with an expert in the field and presenting an irrelevant conversation for over half the slot time does not make sense.  Why do I get annoyed by things like this I ask myself ! 

I think it just goes to show what a niche hobby this is. Obviously catering to the masses can't blame them I suppose but very annoying to people like ourselves who have a real interest in the subject. :0)

Archived