SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC1396: 9 hours worth of Ha

Uranium235

Well, the weather has been glorious. Sunny all day (well, apart from the mornings) and clear by night, shame the nights are so short! But thats one of the reasons I use the twin shooter, at this time of year a second camera effectively doubles your dark time - which is why ive been able to put together this little mosaic over just two nights.

If the weather holds up I plan to hubblify it at the weekend, just 90min in OIII and SII per pane should hopefully be enough to put some colour into it. Not sure wether to add more Ha though, there isnt any noise that I can see but I'd like to get some more sharpness into the finer details of the structure.

IC1396: Elephant trunk

Twin 80ED (0.85x), Atik 314L+ (x2), NEQ6

4.5 hours per pane (x2)

Calib: Bias and Flats

Setpoint: -10

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=94541

post-5513-0-06114000-1370552244_thumb.jp

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

excellent detail Rob, thought you would be out at night the last few nights,

this will look something els with a bit of colour.

Paul

Working on that right now mate :)

Its still not dark yet though, but ive started imaging anyway!

Very nice, what sub lengths are you using?

double data sounds like a great idea.. ;)

Cheers Guy, its was all in 10min subs, with a couple of 15min ones at the end of the run just to see what it looked like - the stars were in good shape so they went into the pot as well.

Thanks Steve :) and all who have replied :) :)

I do have a complete set of SII and OIII, but one pane will need to be re-done becuase when I joined them up the differing data/sky quality on each pane made for a really noisy top half which is present in both SII and OIII data sets :(

Average stacking (rather than SD mask) lessened it a bit, but its still quite obvious when blended with the Ha luminance, no matter how much NR and gradient removal I slapped on the RGB master.

I'll have to shoot a load more, then hand pick the subs I want to stack. I need to be ruthless in selecting those with the lowest background level.

That is excellent Rob - nice to see the double rig working well. :icon_salut: :icon_salut: Do you have the two scopes pointing in precisely the same place or are you collecting the two panels at the same time?

Dave

Dave, I have them pointing at exactly the same spot. I would like to overlap the chips one day (to tear strips from the sky), but I need an upgrade in the mounting for it. Something like the Baader stronghold would be perfect (not cheap though).

Ok, (for the 1000th time...grrrr.) here is what ive been trying to post for most of the day. Ive given up with SGL and "IO error" messages when uploading, so ive had to host elsewhere for now.

I managed to rescue the OIII and SII data with some creative noise reduction, and put together a HOO and HST version. Not perfect, but it will do.

9051066552_bae9d22e05_b.jpg

9051133838_a6b63403b6_b.jpg

I was looking forward to the colour version,

and it was worth the wait, very nice indeed Rob.

Well done

Paul

Thanks Paul :)

I do hope to improve upon the HST version, I feel there should be more gold (Ha), towards the bottom of the frame, and the OIII isnt strong enough.

Shame its going to be at least a few weeks before I get out again because its starting to feel like we're in permanent daylight now :( Cant stant this time of year.

Normally, at this point I would have said "roll on autumn/winter!" - but on second thoughts, given what we had last year.... I think i'll keep me gob shut :D

Archived