Hello from Cornwall.

ga-rat

Hello and Good Evening.

I have just signed up to the forum and thought I should say hello.

"Hello"

I live in Cornwall and we have had some lovely clear nights, not much in the way of light pollution.

I will be posting soon to ask for peoples views on some cheap beginners telescopes for myself and my seven year old daughter along with general help and advice.

Sorry for my complete lack of knowledge on the subject, hopefully this will soon change!!!. :huh: :huh:

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the friendliest astro forum around. There's a wealth of expertise and advice available here, all you have to do is ask. Don't worry if your question might seem a bit basic, everyone here has had to start somewhere. Having little light pollution is going to be a great advantage.

Good luck and clear skies:)

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Hello and welcome from me too :smiley: My kids love stargazing too, so I'd be happy to give advice if that would help. They have a skywatcher 150p dobsonian, which my (then 8yr old) used completely independently this winter to locate and track Jupiter. It's at the right height for their eyes too - and I can sit on a stool and use it too :grin:

Anyway, I'm sure there will be lots of other advice along soon - enjoy choosing!

Welcome GA Rat - great forum and place to learn and seek advice at all levels. I've also got a young apprentice astronomer on my tails - no doubting his eyes are far sharper than mine, but he is 40 years younger ;)

My tops tips for something to share would be:

Keep it simple - I'm currently keeping an eye out for a smaller dobsonian 130-150mm as its powerful enough to give excellent views, requires minimum setup and with the addition of a Telrad/Rigel finder a doddle for my youngster to operate.

Keep them warm

Feed them lots of information - frequent trips to the library are advised.

Have fun.

Archived