Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxvision 24mm 68deg

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I ordered mine here: http://www.optical-systems.co.uk/maxvision-82deg-okular-24mm-p-25559.html Ordered on the 24th May. Paypal was taken out by Explore Scientific GmbH on the 27th May. The EPs arrived via UPS on 29th May. Throughout I received no acknowledgement of the purchase or sending of the items. The only emails were from Paypal confirming authorisation of payment (on the 24th), and an email from Optical Systems confirming the registering of an account. Basically I still haven't received a peep from anyone about the actual purchase transaction - other than Paypal. But I do have my EPs.

Seems like I got the official site bit wrong in my last post. :embarrassed: I ordered mine from the same place as Jules and received emails confirming my order on the May 30th, and dispatch notification yesterday saying it should arrive via UPS in 2 - 4 working days.

I had a bit of a saga with them....after ordering a Maxvision 16mm and an ES 11mm 82º, only the 11mm showed up and it took a few days to convince them that I hadn't received the 16mm.

By which time they had run out of stock on the website.

I then found an ES 14mm 82º on a USA site and was about to buy that when they got back saying they could send me a 16mm, so I didn't buy the ES.

Then, you guessed it, they got back saying they didn't have any 16mm after all, by which time the 14mm ES in the USA had gone out of stock. Great.

They did refund the PayPal ok though.

At the weekend i ordered a 100mm APO from them and on Monday got an email saying it was a pricing error and the transaction was cancelled.

Email was slow throughout the whole process.

It looks like they haven't got their systems properly sorted yet, no dispatch emails etc and this, I would suggest, they should get sorted if they want any regular business.

I think I'll give them a wide berth until they have.

Just received a shipping notice, and it should be with me in a few days. Neat!

Grand :) Looking forwards to hearing what you think to it. I am very happy with all 4 of mine, I can understand easily how some people struggle with the eye relief on the 16mm though.

Panic over!!!!! Just recieved confirmation from ES that they will be dispatched within the next day :grin: Apparently paypal flagged the order & suspended it as ES were taking so long to even accept the payment & it was seen to be 'suspicious'? Anyway all hopefully is fine.

What may have happened is that the (courteous) gesture by ES not to withdraw the money until the shipment has been dispatched (as they did in my case) raised eyebrows (or red flags) at PayPal.

As one of Murphy's Laws states: No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Or........Until they ran around their warehouse like headless chickens praying they had the EP's they said were in stock :grin: There doesnt seem to be a great deal of communication going on over there with either themselves or the customers, it would've been nice if they could have at least let me know what was going on (my email to them was never answered :rolleyes: ) Anyway I'll stop griping as at least they're on there way & as soon as they get here i'm sure the run of crystal clear skies we're having here will come to an abrupt end :cool:

My 24mm just arrived - only 6 days after I ordered it! :smiley: Must be the speediest transaction to date? Hope current/future buyers get similar service.

Impressive looking thing. Won't be able to try it out until next week - no doubt this nice spell of weather will have ended by then....

I've been waiting for my 16mm, perhaps a touch longer than I would have liked. A week or so ago, I had fired off an email asking the whereabouts, only to receive no answer. No matter; It's not like I'm doing much beyond solar viewing for the next couple of months, so I gave it another week. Yesterday, I fired off another asking what the status was, my concern being more along the lines that the courier may have lost, or mis-delivered it. If it had shipped and landed somewhere that wasn't me, then it's money back time and/or a send me another demand under EU distance selling regs. These things happen from time to time and it's the seller's response to the the problem, that dictates whether there's a real issue or not.

A day later, I received a response from Tassilo Bohm:

"Dear Mr. Williams,

we have investigated the matter. The eyepiece has not been sent. To explain why this could happen just a short info: we have only a very small stock here - most of the shipments are done by a external freight provider. The interface between our and their stock situation is not working well - we hope to fix that soon. The eyepieces did not arrive in a single big shipment, we received only a few - the rest will arrive at the end of the month. But we couldn´t see that in our system. So we ordered our freight provider to ship to you, and gave a "shipment done" message. We are sorry for the mistake and the delay that this caused. We will ship you a eyepiece from our own little stock here, so you should have it soon.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sincerely

Cordialement

Tassilo Bohm"

Good enough for me. They can see the problems, are dealing with them and doing what they can to try and tighten up the situation. If the EP turns up in the next 3-5 days (like the 24mm did) then they're as good as their word and I'm happy with that. I'll keep you posted.

Russell

Mine has arrived. It looks very good: mechanically solid, all surfaces clean, coatings look good. I gave it a quick spin in the 80mm F/6, and a nearby blackbird looked very beautiful. It does show a fair bit of pincushion distortion, similar to the Nagler 22T4. I will post a full report later.

I asked Tassilo if I could repeat the above information and he was kind enough today, to volunteer a bit more:

"We will get the rest of the eyepieces (40mm 68°, 18mm 82°) until the end of the month. The whole quantity has been split into separate shipments - so we will only receive a few at a time. We cannot handle large volume from our warehouse by now - you have experienced one of the difficulties that we have. Once the whole quantity is shipped from the factory, it´s over. So we have one big order, but a few shipments. We have also detected a bug in our mail-feedback system: mails that have been sent by this way got stuck in the system. This might explain some of the "sent a mail, but received no answer"-messages that I read at stargazerslounge.

Basically, we are a new company, and all this is still a construction site. We have to keep things going, until our new system goes online - with a new combined warehouse system, new shop engines, new product information management software. We spent well over 100.000€ only for the product information management, and the new shop software and the warehouse softwar are also in the high x0.000€. Once we have "go live" we will have all the goodies - tracking numbers that do actually work, really good availability numbers, and our customers will be able to have a "live status" of all their orders every time on all kinds of computers, including phones and pads. But I don´t expect this to happen in the next 3 month - I hope to have everything in september. Until that time, we will try to do our best (and we just got a new team-member yesterday to improve speed). But we have to do a lot of things manually, so that slows us down.

The good new for your is, that our products are now available in the UK via Telescope House, and they have most products in stock. So if we are too slow you always have the posibility to go there for faster deliveries."

Russell

You know that seems an amazingly detailed and apparently honest response, makes a change from a standard "Dear Mr X we are dealing with your query and will respond within 28 days" sort of mail. Kudos to them, acknowledged things could be better and working to make them so. And I guess it might be threads like this that have overwhelmed their systems a bit. Hopefully everyone who ordered gets their items soon, they are both brilliant and a bargain.

I just used my 16mm 68 degree again today and with it I could see tiny insects buzzing around the top of a tree quite a distance away on realigning my RDF. I am pleased with mine though I have no other quality eyepeices or experience to give a qualified review of this one, other than I am very pleased with it.

Just used the 24mm MaxVision on the sun in H-alpha. Boy what a treat! It picked out fainter proms really nicely, and showed the massive one just brilliantly

Interesting, I look forwards to hearing some more of your thoughts on this ep. I was convinced that I was able to detect far better colour/contrast on the moon with this ep over my tv plossl, though I have no idea if that is due to a wider field or anything as I am still learning about ep's. All a fun learning curve for me though.

The 24mm is certainly great in my view. I used a 17mm Hyperion for years which was a step up from a basic eyepiece and a joy to use but the stars were noticeably comas towards the edges in my F5 dob...The 24mm is much better with stars looking like stars for a large section of the view giving a much more pleasing vista..

The 24mm has enough eye relief for me. I was spoiled by the Hyp which had so much eye relief it was untrue..

I am loving mine for scanning the skies!

Mark

Are these threaded to accept a Baader filter?

I have Maxvision 68° Okular 24mm in my basket but thought best to check with you folks.

This is my first EP upgrade having used the original 2 EP's that came with my 6" Skywatcher dob a year ago.

I don't want to buy upgraded EP's which i would be thinking if only i had spent a little more - so this is about my £ limit.

Hopefully i'm on the right track for starting to build up some EP's which i will be happy with?

cheers

steve

Archived