NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maxvision 24mm 68deg

Hi, once my BV's arrives and I get a clear night I'll compare the FOV both with and without the BV so I can see the relative difference. I'll keep you posted :)

I was wondering if there would be enough nose room with the maxvisions? they are quite chunky! any thoughts on this having placed a 24mm in your BV's?

Cheers

Chris

I suspect a pair of Maxvisions will be somewhat crowded unless you have eyes like Sid the sloth or a nose as thin as a matchstick :-)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspect a pair of Maxvisions will be somewhat crowded unless you have eyes like Sid the sloth or a nose as thin as a matchstick :-)

Hopefully you're not unlucky enough to have both ...

Barry

What's a cloud? :grin: Unfortunately work gets in the way, but I tried my new BVs on Saturday. Albeiro had a beautiful 3D look - can't wait for Jupiter to come round, & the moon. You're going to love them.

I was wondering if there would be enough nose room with the maxvisions? they are quite chunky! any thoughts on this having placed a 24mm in your BV's?

For me there isn't enough spacing for me to get 2 of the 24mm in as they are, but there is always the option of removing the outer cover to make them much slimmer...

I just wish the 16mm had a wider opening in the eyeguard to feel less cramped - like the marketing pictures show for Meades:

S5K_swa-320x246.jpg

It would make them nicer to use, as at the moment the smaller opening attacks my eyelashes, which makes the eyerelief feel smaller.

The 24mm do fit my rather massive 72mm interocular distance, but others might not be so lucky. The 20mm is slightly smaller than the 24 so it might well have the 45mm top diameter sometimes quoted as a maximum (the 24mm has a 50mm top diameter).

Has anyone measured the top diameter of the 20mm version?

45mm, just measured it :)

Just to be sure you could test your NLV and Maxvision together to see if they fit and can accommodate your nose. Both are 45mm wide. If they work, why not order another Maxvision. Do you know what the eye relief is? I know the 16mm is tight.

I like your thinking! I'm sure I read the ER is around 15mm, this along with a narrow opening on the eyecup as mentioned by Adrian a few posts ago may prove to be a problematic. I think your suggestion is probably the best way to test this hypothesis without forking out anymore dosh, and I've ran out of dosh :)

15 mm should be OK but the narrow opening may not be nice to use in binos. The NLV on the other hand is ideal (but expensive) unless you can get another 2nd hand. Vixen QC is usually very good from what I have read, so you would have a good chance of matching your existing EP.

I agree about the narrow opening Mark, it is a concern for bino use. My Vixen NLV is 12mm so I also have to consider that some scopes need the use of the 1.6 barlow and that the 1.6x Barlow acts more like 2-3x. If this turns out to be the case with my 200p f/6 Dob then I will have to be careful how short I can go on EP focal length.

Thats a good point actually, without wishing to turn this thread from a Maxvision thread to a Binoviewer thread, can anyone give me a quick yes or no to whether or not you need the 1.6 Barlow to achieve focus using BV's on the SW 200p Dob?

...Thats a good point actually, with out wishing to turn this thread from a Maxvision thread to a Binoviewer thread, can anyone give me a quick yes or no to whether or not you need the 1.6 Barow to achive focus suing BV's on the SW 200p Dob?...

I certainly needed the 1.6x barlow nosepiece with my Orion Optics 12" F/5.3 dob and that has a low profile focuser.

It's good that you are taking time and being analytical on your choice of bino EPS. I tested all my singles before taking the plunge. I have ended up with 3 sets that have large eye lenses and decent eye relief. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Just come in from observing with the Maxvision 20mm and it was mind blowing! For starters 68 degrees feels great, pretty close to the space walk feeling, especially when the stars are razor sharp from the middle right out to a good 95% of the FOV! No seaguls, comets, kidney beans nor any other analogy which would describe odd shaped stars, just pinpoints! Contrast was great M27, M57, and M13 were almost popping out at me in my 200mm f/6. I'm ordering another one, time to sell some more stuff so I can affored it !:D

I also gave the Binoviewers a go for the first time with a pair of SP 25mm EP's, these were also amazing only that I need to get a different adpator as my Altair self centering adaptor wouldn't grip it properly so it was sagging in the focuser causing a bit of an orthogonality issue. Still I got the jist of how good it could be as my eyes were very relaxed and I swear you could see more detail! The only downside I can see is that your limited to high mag as it requires the 1.6 barlow to achieve focus. Briefly considered getting another 20mm Maxvision for the BV's but I think it would be a gamble with nose room. Might order the 24mm or 28mm if they have any left.

Chris

Sorry to say, but I think the answer is neither. You currently have 60x showing 1.13* of sky. The 24mm gives you 50x and 1.36* & the 16mm gives 75x and 0.91*, neither of which is very different from what you have.

One of the 2" versions would give you a nice widefield option (the 34mm will show almost 2 degrees of sky)... or another 20mm for binoviewing :grin: .

(did you try the one you have in the BVs, and did it come to focus/ vignette?)

Sorry to say, but I think the answer is neither. You currently have 60x showing 1.13* of sky. The 24mm gives you 50x and 1.36* & the 16mm gives 75x and 0.91*, neither of which is very different from what you have.

One of the 2" versions would give you a nice widefield option (the 34mm will show almost 2 degrees of sky)... or another 20mm for binoviewing :grin: .

(did you try the one you have in the BVs, and did it come to focus/ vignette?)

Thanks, I should really run the numbers before making decisions so thanks for doing that :) Like you say its not a massive jump in mag or FOV, I'm glad I slept on it! I nearly hit the buy button last night I was so blown away by the 20mm! :D

I wanted to try the 20mm Maxvision in the BV last night but after noticing that my self centring adaptor wasn't gripping the BV and you could literally waggle it in the focuser! I didn't trust sticking my new priced possesion in it especially considering its weight. I will hunt around the astro outlets for a 2" to 1.25" flush adaptor which will hopefully grip it and then I'll be able to put it to the test :) They are rather big though, I'm not sure it would be comfortable in BV's ??

Chris

If you don't mind using 2" eyepiece the maxvision 28 would work well in combination with the 20. It's one i'm considering next - I have owned both the meade and maxvision brand and see no difference between them.

I owned the meade 34mm SWA a while back which was nice but found it too heavy - it's around 800g !

andrew

I own the original Meade series 5000 SWA eyepieces in 16, 24, 34mm focal lengths, and the UWA in 8.8, 18, 24mm focal lengths. I'm pretty tempted to get one each of the 16 and 24 SWAs from the MaxVision range to binoview with. Either those or another 18mm UWA..

I'd be removing all the sliding stuff to make them narrower for sure, not hard to do and a certain weight saving measure. I'll have to be sure if it'll be worth it to get more eyepieces. I do wear glasses for astigmatism normally. For observing I'll usually wear contacts or I use exit pupils less than 1.5mm where I'm not affected.

I think sleeping on it it is good, that also allows payday to come closer :)

I'm trying so hard to resist, I need to sell and buy another imaging scope instead at the minute, not getting on with my refurbed Orion f/4 :( infact I like these EP's so much I would probably swap the whole scope for a 2" Maxvision :D

Ahhh, poor Russ. Assimilated by the Maxvision collective.

I'm glad I got the 34mm or I would have a very itchy clicky finger right now.... wait, I have anyway. That is a fine eyepiece you have there.

Archived