Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maxvision 24mm 68deg

As the 24mm UWA and 16mm SWA have their own thread, It seems only reasonable that the 24mm SWA should have it's own too. After all, it's so different.

It turned up in a box that was the doppel ganger of an Meade/Explore Scientific box (prior to the new ES livery) and once open, presented what looks very much like a Meade EP. Absolutely nothing surprising there then. Although the shipping notification said "will ship from manufacturer within 24hrs" it came from Germany. Ironically, despite it's European origins, it took pretty much as long as some of the ES EPs I've had shipped from The States, including their brief stay in customs. Of course, there are no customs charges in this case and the one off status of these EPs meant it also turned up for a very non-ES/Meade £75.

Quality of finish and the smoothness of the screw up eyecup operation are all very nice indeed and far in excess of anything I've seen/handled for the price, but given the temporary nature of their origin, that's probably fair enough. Coatings under a bright artificial and natural light, are purple with green. It was a touch dull when I got home, but I would hedge that the ES82s are more green with purple. Similar, but not the same, but I don't have an ES68 for a direct comparison.

There's no chance of a first-light report for a while, so for the moment, an EP group shot for size comparison purposes will have to suffice:

img7963aa.jpg

Russell

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered one too myself at Wednesday.I got an email saying my order has been completed but i have not received any email that says that my order has been shipped.I asked them if they shipped it yet.Hoping to get an answer.How long did you wait 'till you got the EP?I don't live in the UK though....

Ordered one too myself at Wednesday.I got an email saying my order has been completed but i have not received any email that says that my order has been shipped.I asked them if they shipped it yet.Hoping to get an answer.How long did you wait 'till you got the EP?I don't live in the UK though....

i also e mailed them , with no reply . however mine took 8 days. take the weekend out of the equation and it 's about 6 working days.

I ordered the 24mm a week ago and received an email on Tuesday to say order completed and status shipped via UPS standard delivery .... No sign yet of UPS .... Hopefully tomorrow .... Then maybe all this heavy grey cloud and rain will clear!

Some hope!!

Thinking of ordering the 28mm already!! :D

Donaldo

Hoping to get first light tonight with my shiny new 24 and 16, unexpectedly clear here...and I've probably just jinxed it.

So you got 2 different emails,one stating that the order was completed and one that the order was shipped?

Clear skies

So you got 2 different emails,one stating that the order was completed and one that the order was shipped?

Clear skies

No, I just got one email about 24 hours after ordering saying it was complete. Didn't receive a shipping confirmation or tracking number but they arrived on Friday, 8 days after being ordered. Still waiting for clear skies though!

My 24mm 68 deg maxvision has arrived..

Tried it on the moon today and its great in a F5. Much sharper to the edge than the 17mm hyp I have..

I gather 24mm 68 deg is the widest FOV you can get with a 1025 inch barrel and it is similar in terms of FOV to a 32mm plossl but of course the maxvision view is 68deg compared with the plossl 50 deg.

So it seems it might replace my 17mm Hyp as the starter eyepiece for scanning for those galaxies??

Now what do I do...I have the 8mm and 17mm hyp maybe I need to get rid of the 17mm Hyp and get a 16mm maxvision?

Oh boy!

Mark

Easy one that - Flog the Hyperion!

I tried a second hand Hyp 17mm some while ago, as I fancied something with a wider FOV than my 18mm BST Explorer. I think I moved it one within a week and I stuck with the BSTs until I could make the jump to the ES82s. In my 200p, I found the edges of the Hyperion to be shocking, the additional (poorer) FOV over that of the BST, being an active distraction.

The brief peeks I've had through the 24mm Maxvision seem to be very comparable with the ES82s, the quid pro quo being better eye relief at the expense of the width of FOV. To be honest, I find the 14mm ES gets used more than the 18mm, which may in turn be made redundant by the easier to use MV 24mm. I'm seriously considering the 16mm now as the 24mm & 16mm, plus my ES 2x Focal Extender, would make for a very light holiday EP case!

Russell

No, I just got one email about 24 hours after ordering saying it was complete. Didn't receive a shipping confirmation or tracking number but they arrived on Friday, 8 days after being ordered. Still waiting for clear skies though!

That was my experience too, although I did get an email confirming that it had been delivered. The fact that it had been sitting on my desk for two hours at that point, rendered the email somewhat redundant...

Russell

Easy one that - Flog the Hyperion!

I tried a second hand Hyp 17mm some while ago, as I fancied something with a wider FOV than my 18mm BST Explorer. I think I moved it one within a week and I stuck with the BSTs until I could make the jump to the ES82s. In my 200p, I found the edges of the Hyperion to be shocking, the additional (poorer) FOV over that of the BST, being an active distraction.

The brief peeks I've had through the 24mm Maxvision seem to be very comparable with the ES82s, the quid pro quo being better eye relief at the expense of the width of FOV. To be honest, I find the 14mm ES gets used more than the 18mm, which may in turn be made redundant by the easier to use MV 24mm. I'm seriously considering the 16mm now as the 24mm & 16mm, plus my ES 2x Focal Extender, would make for a very light holiday EP case!

Russell

i thought it seemed to have possibilities too, ive just ordered the bresser sa ( powermate clone) from telescope house. i think (hope anyway) 24mm,16mm with a barlowed 12mm and 8mm would make a good little set.

my only concern is how much travel will i need within the focuser range with the added length the barlow adds , but until i try it i wont know.

i thought it seemed to have possibilities too, ive just ordered the bresser sa ( powermate clone) from telescope house. i think (hope anyway) 24mm,16mm with a barlowed 12mm and 8mm would make a good little set.

my only concern is how much travel will i need within the focuser range with the added length the barlow adds , but until i try it i wont know.

From memory, the focus point of Telecentrics like the ES FE/Powermates, shift the focal point very little, unlike a Barlow

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

To hell with it! It's my birthday on 2nd June and the Mrs is going to need something to wrap - 16mm 68deg ordered. :)

Russell

To hell with it! It's my birthday on 2nd June and the Mrs is going to need something to wrap - 16mm 68deg ordered. :)

Russell

perhaps wrap around your head ! :grin: .

i ordered the bresser barlow via my work address ,just to keep the ying/yang in the home :smiley: .

Is the invoice no. a tracking number?If so where do i go to track my order?

Clear skies

i think people have had different experiences with delivery from this site. i personally had no confirmation email, no despatch e mail or tracking. it just turned up unanounced .

others have had e mails of sorts.

Well for my country there was only one shipping option,through DHL.I havent received any email for dispatch,and if the postman left a notification letter...then im in trouble.Hopefully i get a notification until Friday...

Clear skies

So what EPs are people replacing with these EPs?

Tele Vue Panoptics, basically.

- or rather, you perhaps wouldn't replace a Panoptic with a SWA, but you might get a SWA instead of a Pan.

The correction is a little better on TVs Panoptics - but at a price :)

The SWAs also have less rectilinear distortion than the Panoptics - so you feel a little less dizzy when panning about the sky.

I also found that the field-of-view in a Panoptic 24 vignetted slightly in my Mak 180 and 130P scopes, but not the SWA.

It's also easier to get hold of the 16mm SWA compared to the long-gone 15mm Panoptic

Neither line goes shorter than 15mm

I'm replacing my Orion Sirius 25mm plossl with the 24mm maxvision .... :D Arrived yesterday .... If only the clouds would GO AWAY!!!

I intend to replace the very same plossl with the 24mm too!I hope it arrives tommorow.

ive just give the 24mm and 16mm a brief look at the moon , ( still daylight , but couldnt wait any longer) . first impression i get ,i have to say is fantastic, nice sharp image the eye setting easily twists ,not stiff or to loose. the flat area where the eye rests might take me a little getting used to.

left the scope out in hope it stays clear ,then i can really try them out.

so if i have the 24 and 16 , is the 20 abit o.t.t :smiley:

Archived