Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxvision 24mm 68deg

So what EPs are people replacing with these EPs?

I must say I'm tempted, but don't feel the need to replace my TV plossl.

Unless someone were to tell me there'd be a significant difference! :grin:

Cheers

I have tv plossls and since moving over to dob I have been wanting a couple of wide fields. Especially after trying a couple of Panoptics which oddly I found more comfortable to use than 82' ep's. I did get a short session in with the 28 and 20 and in my opinion for what its worth they are very good. Particularly the colour, I'm no expert but it seems to me that they pick out the colours better than than my plossls which I personally find to have a slight green hue about them, only slight mind. These appear to me to be more natural somehow. The orange stars in M13 were immediately apparent amongst the blue, just needing a couple of nights to give them some proper time.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive just give the 24mm and 16mm a brief look at the moon , ( still daylight , but couldnt wait any longer) . first impression i get ,i have to say is fantastic, nice sharp image the eye setting easily twists ,not stiff or to loose. the flat area where the eye rests might take me a little getting used to.

left the scope out in hope it stays clear ,then i can really try them out.

so if i have the 24 and 16 , is the 20 abit o.t.t :smiley:

No :D Take the opportunity whilst it's there..The 28 is delicious.

So what EPs are people replacing with these EPs?

I must say I'm tempted, but don't feel the need to replace my TV plossl.

Unless someone were to tell me there'd be a significant difference! :grin:

Cheers

I wasn't proposing to replace anything, but needed some longer FL EPs in the 1.25" format to fit in my Herschel wedge as the Sun basically fills my 14mm ES82 nearly to the field stop. That makes viewing the entire solar disk quite a chore, but I didn't want to commit to ES68 money for this sole task. The arrival of the Maxvisions was timely, to say the least!

However, having had a quick bit of solar time late on today, followed by some terrestrial views when the cloud closed in, I'm facing the possibility that I like the 24mm Maxvision more than my ES82 18mm. They actually have about the same FOV, but it's very hard to view the extremities of the 18mm, due to the small size and recess of the 18mm eye lens. So, in reality, the 18mm is more like a 70deg FOV and with the 16mm Maxvision confirmed as shipped, I suspect the 18mm ES may find itself spending more time in the case.

I might also add that I actually think the Maxvision is a tad sharper, certainly sharper at the field stop than the ES82 (note caveat above) and slightly better in terms of contrast as it seemed slightly less excited by the CA of the scope. Okay, I'll have to wait for the cover of darkness before making any absolute judgements, but the way distant roof tiles stayed tack sharp with detail and contrast right to the edge, was very impressive.

As for the TV Plossl, it unlikely that the Maxvision will be sharper, but it's also unlikely to be significantly worse. However the jump from 52 to 68deg FOV is a considerable and undeniable difference and depending on your preferences, may prove a big enough incentive once you've seen it. I tried the opposite when I bought some BGOs to augment my ES82s for planetary, principally the moon and sun. I found the restricted FOV and the reduced contect in which subjects are placed, too much of a quid pro quo for a tiny increase in sharpness and sold them fairly quickly. Also (and this is a non-issue at the focal lengths available in the Maxvisions) but the eye relief of the BGOs was too uncomfortable for me below 7mm.

I don't know if any of that helps. :)

Russell

It seems to me that if these are the same as the Meades once were then they somewhat overpriced their versions of these same eyepieces. They seem to be flying out of the shop now. Maybe if they had sold more they would not be in the stste they find themselves in.

Alan

I wasn't proposing to replace anything, but needed some longer FL EPs in the 1.25" format to fit in my Herschel wedge as the Sun basically fills my 14mm ES82 nearly to the field stop. That makes viewing the entire solar disk quite a chore, but I didn't want to commit to ES68 money for this sole task. The arrival of the Maxvisions was timely, to say the least!

However, having had a quick bit of solar time late on today, followed by some terrestrial views when the cloud closed in, I'm facing the possibility that I like the 24mm Maxvision more than my ES82 18mm. They actually have about the same FOV, but it's very hard to view the extremities of the 18mm, due to the small size and recess of the 18mm eye lens. So, in reality, the 18mm is more like a 70deg FOV and with the 16mm Maxvision confirmed as shipped, I suspect the 18mm ES may find itself spending more time in the case.

I might also add that I actually think the Maxvision is a tad sharper, certainly sharper at the field stop than the ES82 (note caveat above) and slightly better in terms of contrast as it seemed slightly less excited by the CA of the scope. Okay, I'll have to wait for the cover of darkness before making any absolute judgements, but the way distant roof tiles stayed tack sharp with detail and contrast right to the edge, was very impressive.

As for the TV Plossl, it unlikely that the Maxvision will be sharper, but it's also unlikely to be significantly worse. However the jump from 52 to 68deg FOV is a considerable and undeniable difference and depending on your preferences, may prove a big enough incentive once you've seen it. I tried the opposite when I bought some BGOs to augment my ES82s for planetary, principally the moon and sun. I found the restricted FOV and the reduced contect in which subjects are placed, too much of a quid pro quo for a tiny increase in sharpness and sold them fairly quickly. Also (and this is a non-issue at the focal lengths available in the Maxvisions) but the eye relief of the BGOs was too uncomfortable for me below 7mm.

I don't know if any of that helps. :)

Russell

For me I'd take these SWA over any of the Nagler clones - but of course you only have a limited range to 16mm. That 16mm is a little 'gem' - flat, sharp and less colourful edges than the 82s. I think a good description would be a 68 deg Radian !

andrew

After last nights time spend dodging the clouds and trying out the Maxivisions I went to bed too late but very happy.

I had both the dob and the frac out and spent a little time comparing the views of the 24 max with a 25 tv plossl and the 16 max with a 15 plossl, not the best comparison I'm sure but relevant for me. Also I was using a 16 WO uwan.

The wider field of view is definitely a big step up in the maxi's and something I find very comfortable. Personally for me I feel that the 68' field of view is perfect and prefered to the 82' uwan, 68' just seems to fill my eye comfortably without the feeling of it being disturbed or drawn around with the 82'.

My target with the dob was M13 as I wanted to find out if my initial thoughts from last weeks viewing were correct. It does seem to me that the colour and contrast with the maxi's is better than my plossls and for sure the orange stars are more apparent and I felt that the core was overall brighter, overall more natural. With averted vision I felt that I could define more shape.

With the Lyra pointed at the Moon there was just no contest the shades of the surface were just a knockout. The colours were so much better and I would like to say shockingly so, I could not stop looking and comparing the two. The 25 plossl is equal in sharpness but the enhanced contrast and colour of the maxi shone through noticeably. I have never seen the Moon like this and the 24 maxi in the Lyra is a marriage made in heaven for me, the FOV and that colour has put a whole new perspective on observing the Moon and I could go on and on..:)

So overall, well I'm made up and these will certainly put lots more pleasure into my observing sessions, what a steel they have proved to be.

Yay!Mine is arriving in Monday as scheduled!After 2 emails ES sent me the tracking number for UPS!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I'll be surprised if it arrives Monday. Unless UPS work bank holidays that is, in which case, I'll shut up!

Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Booooo! Ordered a 16mm & 24mm on Sunday. The package arrived today, but only the (very nice) 24mm was in it. Order states 'completed', so I have slung an email off to Admin email address.

It was the 16mm that I really wanted, too :sad:

Booooo! Ordered a 16mm & 24mm on Sunday. The package arrived today, but only the (very nice) 24mm was in it. Order states 'completed', so I have slung an email off to Admin email address.

thats a bit poor service. i recieved both 16 and 24 togeather. hope you get it soon.

Same with me, ordered Monday and was surprised when UPS rang the bell today but even more surprised when only the ES 11mm was in the box.....

Any updates on the missing ep's as i'm thinking of getting the 16 & 24mm at the end of the week?

I'm still waiting for a Maxvision 16mm......received an ES 11mm but they seem to think I should have received the 16mm as well....?!?!?!?

Their CS is obviously not the best.....but hopefully they'll sort it soon.

Thanks for the reply mate, hope it comes soon for you. Think i'll still 'risk' ordering the 2 of them as for that price & the reviews i've read (and advice i've had....Thanks russ.will) i'll be annoyed when they all sell out & i dont have em :smiley:

I received an email yesterday apologising for the oversight, stating that the eyepiece would be sent by UPS. CS seems slow (emailed Thursday night, response Monday is a long time for waiting to hear when you're missing an eyepiece) but as long as it gets there in the end then I'm fine with it. Mistakes & accidents happen; It's how they are dealt with that makes the difference.

Unfortunatelly,somehow ups didnt have my correct info so when i went to track this weeked my order it said that correct info was needed.After 3 emails to ES i received this

"

Dear Mr --!

could you pls call UPS Greece to give this information? tel: 01-9984000"

(Talk about customer support).I called a little bit ago and hopefully my ep will be here by tommorow!!

Archived