Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maxvision 24mm 68deg

not really moffer. i have a magnetic knife rack fixed along with a couple of weights for counter balancing, but i didnt use them the other night on the 24mm first light. i think i might have tightened the tension handles a little.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea that magnetic knife rack if needed, presume it's held in place with double sided tape?

I ordered the 24mm SWA for my 8" dob yesterday. It's about 3 times the weight of my heaviest eyepiece, hence my query about balance.

Thanks mate

Good idea that magnetic knife rack if needed, presume it's held in place with double sided tape?

I use one with 1lb and 2lb kitchen weights as options. It works pretty well and is needed as I have a couple of eyepieces that weigh around 2 lbs.

I ordered the 24mm SWA for my 8" dob yesterday. It's about 3 times the weight of my heaviest eyepiece, hence my query about balance.

Thanks mate

i got some sticky pads (out side use like number plate sticker pads.) and the rack from amazon for a couple o quid.

tends to be when your observing towards the horizon you need the weight attached. i dont use weights as heavy as johns, but on the other hand i dont have eyepieces of those proportions ! :grin:

Was a bit bored this afternoon and I have new glass on my camera. There was a can of beans in the cupboard. So took some pics of my 16mm and 24mm Maxvisions. (Those with an eye for such things will notice I've deliberately overexposed some of the photos to enhance the shadow details i.e. the rubber bits).

post-27853-0-26661500-1370132101_thumb.j

post-27853-0-64624100-1370132135_thumb.j

post-27853-0-68061100-1370132176_thumb.j

I had a very transparent and dark sky 2 days ago.I had the chance of using my new EP.I was blown away!The field was flat and sharp right to very edge with excellent contrast and pinpoint stars!Truly amazing!

Had first light last night with my two new EPs. As the saying goes, it was a game of two halves...

Started off by putting the Baader Zoom into my 8" dob in order to re-calibrate my eyes. Stayed mostly at the 24mm setting and then put in:

Maxvision 24mm

Holy cow, what a difference! The Maxvision is sooo much better than the Zoom at 24mm. The field of view is wonderful and enormous in comparison. It was fantastic and I was totally overwhelmed. Everything was much sharper, and noticeably so at the edges, compared to the Baader. Seeing was not great last night, so I wouldn't wish yet to judge ultimate sharpness. However, it was a chalk and cheese step up from what I'm used to. I had my glasses on and had plenty of ER. Very comfortable to use. Overall: very happy bunny.

Maxvision 16mm

Once I'd pulled myself off the roof, next went in the 16mm. Oh dear, this was not good. As another poster had said, the ER was far too tight for me. Glasses on and pressed to the EP, I could only see about the central 50% of the FOV. Even with my glasses off, and nose pressed hard against the EP, I could see maybe only 80-85% of the FOV. I checked that the cup was not in the up position, but no it was all the way down. Worse than that, the performance at the edge was not very good for me. Perhaps it might have been something to do with the ER and an interaction with my glasses (I don't have the experience or knowledge to tell), but things got pretty blurry and distorted when within 30% of the edge. The 24mm was much better in this regard, as indeed is my WO 6mm (which I also tried as cross-reference). I'm not going to give up just yet. Another night I will put my contact lenses in and re-try. But, for sure, there's absolutely no way I'll be able to wear my glasses with the 16mm.

So a night of contrasts. I am deliriously happy about the 24mm but currently have strong reservations about the 16mm.

On another good note, it was first (proper) light for my SkyWatcher RACI finderscope. Very happy with that too. My back is especially happy.

I have just pulled the trigger on one of these. New for 79 euro was something I could not help getting. It will serve as a finder EP on the APM 80mm with Herschel wedge (overkill, I know), or as very nice wide angle in the kids mini-Dob (only if they are very good indeed, but it will need a counterweight added, I suppose), or as a part of a lighter travel set (lighter that is, than the collection of assorted hand grenades and the odd Panzerfaust 31T5).

Reading this, I am now interested in one of the maxvision eyepieces. I Ddn't know if what I am linking below is the same as what is discussed exactly. I had kind of settled for a BST explorer 18mm from sky's the limit as my next investment, though a 16 is near enough for my next one, and the prices are getting comparable.

Can anyone shed any light on the comparison of these two and got first hand experience of them, especially since the maxvision states suitability for an F/5, so I am considering this

http://www.exploresc...mm-p-25560.html

versus

http://www.ebay.co.u...257?refid=store

Many thanks in advance for nay comments.

Yes, that is the correct link for the Maxvision. (But I have not done the comparison with the BST).

Should you have both, I'd love to hear a comparison, or anyone offering, I'll post you some cookies :icon_mrgreen:

Should you have both, I'd love to hear a comparison, or anyone offering, I'll post you some cookies :icon_mrgreen:

Ooo... Sorry, I meant that I don't have any BSTs. Though the BST at approx that length will be my next port of call if the 16mm doesn't work out with the contact lenses.

Drat, I like cookies.

Paypal have now put a temporary suspension on the payment to ES for some reason???? after the problems people have had with ordering ep's ES no longer had in stock I'm wondering if they've even got mine in stock. The problem isnt on my end as my account easily has the funds to cover them. The plot thickens.

Well I put my order for the 20 & 24mm last wednesday & they havnt even taken the money out of paypal yet?? I'm giving it til the end of the week then cancelling.

Steve

Something not right there Steve.... I ordered the 24mm last thursday and received an email today saying they had dispatched it and should arrive within 2 - 4 working days.

Might be best to contact them.

Something not right there Steve.... I ordered the 24mm last thursday and received an email today saying they had dispatched it and should arrive within 2 - 4 working days.

Might be best to contact them.

I've already emailed them mate thanks.

Oh 'eck, that doesn't sound very good. I payed for mine by credit card, fingers firmly crossed that I get it.

Others have recieved them fine mate so i wouldnt worry, paypal have now flagged this transaction so its looking as if the site i've ordered from may not be kosher as when i first put the order in i recieved an email thanking me for my custom but there was no link back to the official ES site, just a reply only email add which iv never seen b4??

Archived