Narrowband

Maxvision 24mm 68deg

Flippin Heck thats massive Russ! I like how its so big you need to physically push you nose to the side to get you eye in ;) I'd better not get a 40mm with my small head I would have to resort to just staring into it like a binoviewer! :D

Seriously though I bet it will blow your socks off, I'm very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts after first light.

I'm slowly saving for another one, either the 28 or 34mm.

Chris

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I'm thinking is with the 2" ES maxvisions are getting into ES82 territory (money wise) which is also tempting from the point of view of someone who hasn't tried one and was blow away by a flat 68 degrees.

Well that landed at approximately £137. My ES82 30mm inc taxes and duty was approximately £238. That's a fair saving over ES82 money, which it would have to be, because it's only really applicable to the frac.

Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

This one has caught my attention at 139 Euros:

http://www.explorescientific.de/explore-scientific-82deg-n2-eyepiece-14mm-125-p-22950.html

Obviously its not a big monster 2" but it might satisfy my curiosity about 82 Degrees AFOV. I would like better EP's above and below the focal length of my 20mm Maxvision so its tempting to make do with my revelations 32mm and 2" LER 28mm for for long focal length. I would have to sell my TV 15mm Plossl though which would be a kick in the downstairs.

Impressive! am I right in thinking the little one is the 16mm? if so how do you find the eye relief in practice please? Someone has offered to sell me one but said that the eye relief was very bad which kind of makes me want to save the extra for the ES82 14mm.

To be honest, neither are that great, but as I use both with the eyecup extended (ES) and the eyecup slightly screwed up (Maxvision) they're not that bad either. However, I only wear glasses for reading and I wouldn't fancy either with specs.

It's odd, but I find both much better than my ES82 18mm, which I think is a shocker, but others find okay....

For the money involved, I'd buy the s/h Maxvision and see how you get on.

Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Russ :icon_salut: so what you are saying is the ES82 might not be much better on the eye relief than the ES82's. I was particularly looking at the ES82 14mm, if you don't mind me asking one more question? I see in your sig that you have a number of the ES82's including the 14mm I was looking at. How do you find the ES82 14mm compared to the Maxvision 16mm in terms of both eye relief and wow factor. Bear in mind that the Maxvision 20mm absolutely blew my mind! : :icon_compress::icon_eek:

Curiosity is the problem, now I've seen what a good quality 68 degree EP looks like, its got me curious about the 82 degrees, this is probably quite common I should imagine :D

From what you're saying I'll reconsider the 16mm Maxvision S/H. I'll take a look at the eye relief specs for the ES82 14mm and the Maxvision 16mm before making a move either way :icon_scratch:

Cheers Russ :)

Do bear in mind that the ER figures for the ES82s tend to hide the fact that the lens is recessed by 2-3mm beneath the top of the EP body, so you need to subtract that to get a real-feel total.

It's a bit hard to give a definitive verdict on the ES14 v MV16mm as I've only really used both in my F9.4 and mostly for solar at that. An initial impression is that the 16mm is sharper at the edges, but the area where the 14mm is worse is outside of the AFOV of the 16mm and you have to stretch your eyeball to see it.

As regards the larger FOV, the 82deg moves it out of you field of view whereas with the 68mm, it hovers just on the periphery of your vision.

As far as sharpness goes, there's nothing in it at the centre, but as the MVP is really crisp right to the field stop, it gives the overall impression of being sharper.

If I were spending my money again, having experience of the MVs, I'd buy the ES68s.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

Thanks Russ, I've been going round in circles with this one so I really appreciate your advice :) I think I'll re-message about the 16mm MV, I have also put an ad up for a second hand Ultra wide eyepiece so if something comes up there and I also don't get on with 82 degrees, I wont lose much money when passing it on.

Thanks for that Russ :)

Chris

Archived