Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maxvision 24mm 68deg

Have been following this thread, I have a gap that the 16mm would fill nicely but research suggests very tight Eye Relief ( 11mm ish) which puts it out as I wear glasses re astigmatism to oberve. That has set me wondering about the 20mm, but can find nothing on it's eye relief - does anyone have any measure / experience on that?

Failing that I could get tempted by the 24mm to replace my 32mm GSO possl, but would rather find something that fills my gaps rather than a marginal improvement on what I have already got.

Thanks,

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know what the 24mm ER is but I have one and its generous enough to not bother me and i also wear glasses

For the Meade versions:

The 24mm SWA is 18.43mm

The 24mm UWA is 17.6mm

I'll see if I can scan the sheet at work tomorrow & post it, as I haven't found it on the web anywhere.

I'm considering options for the binoviewer for around the 12-16mm - I have the 12.5 ortho, 14mm Meade Series 5000 plossl and the maxvision 16mm: These have eye relief of 10mm, 10.4mm and 11.87mm respectively, but (just held up to the light) I can only see the field stop with my glasses on with the 12.5 & 14! The supposedly longer eye relief of the (Meade) Maxvision is the hardest to see :huh:

This may be different in the dark with a scope though :rolleyes: If the 16mm is easier under the stars then I may get a second

I've just ordered the 20mm 68 degree Maxvision. I nearly went for the 16mm but thought the extra eye relief of the 20mm would be a safer bet, I'll give my verdict when it arrives and after first light :)

I've just ordered the 20mm 68 degree Maxvision. I nearly went for the 16mm but thought the extra eye relief of the 20mm would be a safer bet, I'll give my verdict when it arrives and after first light :)

if its anything like the 24mm you will not be disapointed

Hi Eastridge

The 20mm EP has 15.25mm eye relief.

This is borderline for people with glasses: in some cases it works, in others it doesn't.

I am interested in your verdict, I am slightly tempted to get the 20mm as well (or even a pair for binoculars or binoviewing)

The 20mm is a very good lens to me, i think it is a bit flatter across the field than the 24mm. I was using both the 16 and 20mm yesterday and the relief is more comfortable than the 16 but not sure if it would be quite enough for specs - probably borderline.

andrew

24 mm ordered on Sunday, dispatched on Tuesday, and arrived today as stated in the mail :)-.

Hopefully can test it tomorrow when weather allows.

The size, especially length, is actually smaller than I anticipated, considering the 340g weight.

Thanks for that pdf Adrian.

As the 20mm is boarderline (soo annoying) , the question becomes is it worth getting the 24mm to replace my GSO 32mm Possl. The later seems 'fine' to me but I don't have anything of quality wide to compare it to.

Can anyone comment on whether the maxvision 24 be a significantly noticeable improvement in my 250PX Dob?

I'm thinking the gso seems quite a popular EP so I should be able to recover £20+ selling it on here in the classifieds?

Why dont you get both the 24 and the 34. Both should be fine in you dob and the views will honestly blow you away. If u cant afford both, the 24 would, i think anyway give a very similar tfov to the 32 gso but edge to edge clarity at wxtra mag, trust me u will love it.

The 24mm shows the same amount of sky as a 32mm plossl but the experience to the eye is very different with the 24mm feeling immersive...

In my view..

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

I've just bceome the lucky recipient of a pair of WO binoviewers courtesy of today's FLO clearence thread :) I'm now also tempted to buy a second 20mm Maxvision EP for the viewers :) They are quite chunky though so there might not be much room for my nose :D

I just tested my 24 mm with the 80 mm F/6 on M57, M13 and M11, and it performed really nicely. Stars sharp to the edge (so far I had only used it for solar). I briefly compared it to the Nagler 22T4, which gave a much more immersive view, but in terms of quality I did not see a real difference. The grey skies even at midnight make a really good comparison hard, but at F/6 the 24 mm shows no obvious aberrations, even at the edge of the FOV. Nice result.

The 20mm Maxvsion has landed!

My initial thoughts are that its the best engineered eyepiece I own! it feels very solid and the twist up eyecup has a very satisfying silky smooth friction about it. Its also very shiney and pretty and comes in a relatively large foam padded box with dust caps that fit well. if its views are as good as its looks and engineering then I will be looking at what I can sell to buy more :D I'll report back once I've had first light :)

Chris

I'd like to hear if the 20mm vignettes in your binoviewers at all. I'm looking for a reasonably priced BV set in the 14-20mm range, preferably with decent eye relief.

With what I have at the moment:

The 24mm MaxVision (27mm Field Stop) has its AFOV restricted to around 60* in my AE BVs, which should be comparable to yours.

The 25mm plossls (21mm F.S.) does not fully vignette, but illumination is slightly uneven across the field. I was expecting a lot worse.

The 16mm Maxvision (estimated 18mm F.S) appears nicely lit, but the eye relief is too short; I may need glasses to view with the BVs due to significant astigmatism in my left eye. Even without glasses I have to push in to see the whole FOV.

By my reckoning the 20mm has around a 22mm Field stop. Does this lose FOV, or just make the edges a little darker?

The 20mm Maxvsion has landed!

My initial thoughts are that its the best engineered eyepiece I own! it feels very solid and the twist up eyecup has a very satisfying silky smooth friction about it. Its also very shiney and pretty and comes in a relatively large foam padded box with dust caps that fit well. if its views are as good as its looks and engineering then I will be looking at what I can sell to buy more :D I'll report back once I've had first light :)

Chris

Nice to hear it has arrived. Hope you get clear skies soon

I'd like to hear if the 20mm vignettes in your binoviewers at all. I'm looking for a reasonably priced BV set in the 14-20mm range, preferably with decent eye relief.

With what I have at the moment:

The 24mm MaxVision (27mm Field Stop) has its AFOV restricted to around 60* in my AE BVs, which should be comparable to yours.

The 25mm plossls (21mm F.S.) does not fully vignette, but illumination is slightly uneven across the field. I was expecting a lot worse.

The 16mm Maxvision (estimated 18mm F.S) appears nicely lit, but the eye relief is too short; I may need glasses to view with the BVs due to significant astigmatism in my left eye. Even without glasses I have to push in to see the whole FOV.

By my reckoning the 20mm has around a 22mm Field stop. Does this lose FOV, or just make the edges a little darker?

Hi, once my BV's arrives and I get a clear night I'll compare the FOV both with and without the BV so I can see the relative difference. I'll keep you posted :)

I was wondering if there would be enough nose room with the maxvisions? they are quite chunky! any thoughts on this having placed a 24mm in your BV's?

Cheers

Chris

Archived