Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all

Lee-Darkskies

Hi All, I'm Lee, 41 and from Southampton, I have just purchased my second telescope in my life, can I get some feedback on it (it would be nice to see if it holds up to looking at some great stuff out there) it's the bk1309 EQ2 Skywatcher reflector 900mm focal, 130mm diameter with R.A. motor brand new. Have not yet used it (it is assembled though) the only negative thing is I don't think the motor is working, there is power going to the controller as the LED light is glowing red but the actual motor does not seem to turn, am I doing something wrong here ???? my first scope was a Celestron Iluminova refractor 800mm focal 60mm diameter (which I assume was nothing more than a toy really, I maybe wrong). So looking forward to my first real views of what is out there :) again in advance hello and nice to be here ;)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

If you put your ear to the motor, can you hear it ticking? It makes a very slight noise as it turns. Generally though you won't be able to see it moving unless you leave it running for some time. At 1x speed (sidereal rate) the telescope only moves by a quarter of a degree per minute which is fairly hard to spot.

James

Hi Lee, welcome to SGL :)

Try your scope in the daytime. Look through the scope at a terrestrial object and turn the motor on. You should see the object move out of view as the motor turns the mount.

Hi Lee,

Welcome to SGL. Noob here myself :smiley:

I have just bought a second hand scope and had the same thoughts as you, motor didn't seem to work. I had a look at the SynScan controller and turned the slew speed up to 8X and it worked fine.

Hope you get it all working.

Welcome Lee. I remember when I finally got my motor working I couldn't detect movement so I set the RA circle to zero and came back in an hour and to my great surprise it had moved on an hour!

Good luck with yours and clear skies :smiley:

Jason

Just an update, the motor is not turning as I left it on for an hour, came back still in same position, cannot hear any ticking from the motor, have contacted supplier, they have agreed to send another one as long as they get the faulty one, thank god its cloudy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived