Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from a new starter

Puffafish

Hello,

I'm from Cheltenham, UK, and am just about to make the purchase of my very first 'scope. Currently debating between the Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO and the Skywatcher Explorer 130M; Alt-Az vs Eq mounts (Alt-Az is easier to set up, no polaris alighment, but EQ mount seems to be more respected), 650 vs 900 focal length (I know this will effect magnifications, but both 'scopes claim 260 as highest maximum power) and, parabolic or circular (parabolic is clearly better, focus the light properly in the secondary mirror).

I plan to order the scope as soon as I can make my mind up between the two, so any advice would be appreciated.

I've heard that there is a local astronomy club in Cheltenham (that uses Cleeve Hill as a viewing point), but I can't find their website at the moment...

Welcome to the forum!

No matter what scope, 130mm will show yo nice views of planets (with the right eyepieces depending on the focal length) and starts to show details on deep sky objects!

I reach 260x magnification with a 33€ HR Planetary eyepiece, nice views of Saturn, Moon...

I've just finished my first nights of observation with the heritage 130p dobsonian, easy to use even without motor and very portable ;-)

Most mirrors these days should be parabolic, and especially with shorter focal lengths this is very important... Else it will be difficult to view details on some/most DSO/planets for example.

Have fun with your new telescope, I hope you find the one right for you and get it for a good price.

Archived