NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you recommend a 6mm EP for a BST fan?

KevUU

I hope this isn't a silly question, but:

What makes a 'planetary' eyepiece planetary? In other words why is the TMB planetary 6mm better suited for planets than the WO 6mm, and does that mean it's less suited for DSOs, and if so why? :icon_scratch:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the definition planetary eyepiece means so much these days. I think the term used to refer to eyepieces that delivered high magnification, sharpness and contrast and control of light scatter above all other considerations such as field of view or eye relief. Modern designs using the latest glass types and coating technologies seem to be able to deliver excellent planetary performance as well as an expansive field of view and comfortable eye relief.

These old definitions seem to have got much more blurred today, in my opinion (granted that blurred is not a good term to use in an eyepiece discussion !).

The William Optics SPL and the TMB Planetary are designs that attempt to do what I've described above - they aim to deliver excellent planetary performance and user comfort as well.

And they work well on DSO's too.

I think for that focal length and budget, the WO is hard to beat. Personally, I am completely sold on/loyal to/stupidly committed to the consistent quality of Televue and a used 6mm Radian would be a great alternative, albeit a little more expensive still at about £100 for a good one. I once bought an 8mm TMB type clone and the quality of that was poor compared with the Radian I got to replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a WO SPL 6mm going s/h for £50 posted, so jumped on that.

Have used it a couple of times, on Saturn and M5.

First impressions are pretty good, definitely nicer than my old 8mm vixen NPL, gives good views once focussed properly. Doesn't feel quite as comfortable as the BSTs though, really highlights how good they are. I'm happy though, and looking forward to more Saturn and globs with it :)

Thanks for all your help everyone :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

That's interesting to know, thank you. I'm thinking of going the other way round. Already have the WO (as you know) but am considering going with some BSTs instead of my current Baader zoom. If the BSTs are more comfortable then I will be pleased because I like the WO.

I haven't tried another 6mm, but can only praise the WO!

I don't find any problem with image sharpness across the whole field of view.

My 'scope is f6.

I'm happy to let Saturn drift straight across from 2 o'clock to 8 o'clock before nudging.

Cheers

I'm pretty new to the hobby so my experience with different eyepieces is very limited, but for what it's worth....

I've had my new WO SPL 6mm for a couple of weeks now, but only once have conditions been good enough for me to use it on Saturn and even then the seeing wasn't great. Having said that, first impressions were promising with the planet nice and sharp across the whole field in fleeting moments when the image was steady, I also found it comfortable to use. The fold-up eyecup really suited me with no need to hover, like Jules I just gently press against the eyecup to see the whole field, think I prefer it to the twist-up eyecup of my BST 8mm. Looking forward to using the WO on a night with decent seeing - think I'll be in for a treat.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to add my two pen'orth a bit late, the Altair Astro Lightwave LER 6mm was very nice when I had it, (and kind of regretted selling it) ,and as far as I can tell from the spec. and appearance it is very very similar to the WO SPL.

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-lightwave-6mm-ler-1.25-planetary-eyepiece.html

2 hours ago, rwilkey said:

£39.00 for a Starguider is a cracking price.

23 hours ago, Alfian said:

Just to add my two pen'orth a bit late, the Altair Astro Lightwave LER 6mm was very nice when I had it, (and kind of regretted selling it) ,and as far as I can tell from the spec. and appearance it is very very similar to the WO SPL.

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-lightwave-6mm-ler-1.25-planetary-eyepiece.html

£39.00 for a Starguider is a cracking price.

Been thinking of trying a BST. That is a good price. Might try 6mm.They don't seem to come in 6mm,so maybe a 5mm. Any good for Bresser AR 102 or 8se?

I'm leaning towards 5mm. 

35 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Been thinking of trying a BST. That is a good price. Might try 6mm.They don't seem to come in 6mm,so maybe a 5mm. Any good for Bresser AR 102 or 8se?

I'm leaning towards 5mm. 

I've only just got my 5mm and it hasn't seen light yet but I'm sure someone will comment.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I'm leaning towards 5mm. 

The 5, 8 and 12mm Starguiders are the best ones and will be fine in either scope. The 18 and 25 show field curvature and astigmatism respectively in fast scopes but will (probably) be fine in the 8se. The 3.2 seems to have a bit of a soft focus and I've never used a 15 to know how it performs. 

1 hour ago, Ricochet said:

The 5, 8 and 12mm Starguiders are the best ones and will be fine in either scope. The 18 and 25 show field curvature and astigmatism respectively in fast scopes but will (probably) be fine in the 8se. The 3.2 seems to have a bit of a soft focus and I've never used a 15 to know how it performs. 

I have 15mm and it's one of my most used, nice eyepiece. Sold the 12mm as I have Es 24 and 2x Barlow. Also have 8mm bst and use it a lot in the travel scope.  I have just got the 6mm vixen Slv and not had much chance to use it yet.

Steve

Archived