Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet or flop?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul;

I took notice of a small crescent of light just above the tree on the left side of the top photo, & I was wondering if it was some kind of aberration or reflection? I ask this because I'm new to AP & trying to learn. Either way, nicely done mate, I would love to have taken a photo similar to yours, from my dark sky location on the west side of the Rockies, but chances are I won't be :bino2: through the :clouds1: & :clouds2: until May or early October :dontknow: .

Cheers!

Paul;

I took notice of a small crescent of light just above the tree on the left side of the top photo, & I was wondering if it was some kind of aberration or reflection? I ask this because I'm new to AP & trying to learn.

Hi, yes it's a reflection of the moon crescent inside the lens.

Saw it again tonight from SW Ireland through the 15x70s, no change in brightness from Wednesday (though perhaps in a slightly darker sky) while the tail if anything seemed longer, maybe a full degree. Is so obvious in the binos you think it has to be naked eye, but not to mine at least. Still, don't worry PanStarrs, you're not a flop you're actually rather beautiful...

Couidn't agree more, it was a splendid sight from my vantage point this evening, on the Newcastle Town Moor atop of Cow Hill. Using my 15x70's and tripod, there certainly was more tail revealed as the sky darkend, especially with a touch of averted vision. Very rewarding session. Involved quite a bit of a walk in, which incidentally, if anyone is using the Horizon 8115 tripod and requires a bit of trekking, I can recommend the Tamrac 320 carry bag for shouldering your tripod.

Here in southern Louisiana I kept looking for it since thursday night. Thought I saw it and called my wife to come see it. I was so excited. Turned out to be a plane!

Then Friday night I was persistant and was able to get a good view for about half and hour. With small binos it was very clear. Naked eye? Nothing. I was able to focus my scope on it before it went behind the trees. Then I walked around the neighborhod to get a clear shot of it for a while longer.

This was my first comet I have seen and it was beautiful! No not a flop for me.

• 2 weeks later...

this map is accurate and the comet is really easy to find if you follow it. it's very obvious even in my 7x36 bins so almost any bins will pick it up. the core is obviously non stellar and has a tail as the sky gets darker. best around 7.30pm onwards from memory..

590x417_03061837_comet-pan-starrs-sky-map.jpg

Great sky here tonight. Working a night shift so brought along my lickle 8 X 40's along with me.

And I finally bagged the blighter!

Not particularly exciting but at least it's done!

I got a glimpse of M31 too.

Would have been a great night if it hadn't been for that pesky Moon!

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk HD

I saw the elusive PanStarrs comet tonight, my first comet I might add, very exciting, not like I imagined though, not that bright but the tail is huge, It's like an explosion stretching back, I thought it would be long and thin, it's a fantastic sight, hopefully the clouds will clear again

tomorrow, can't wait to see it again.

Clear Sky's.

Solid cloud here. Not a peep :(

am just a couple a mile south of chesterfield ,we had a mega view with a 6" frac and one massive ep It supprised me how bright the tail was and how long it was the 4 members who turned out for are club meet we where rather impressed even view able In 9x 50 binos

pat

First night under the stars in months with a light breeze was begining to think I was never going to see it. Managed to catch it low down and just visible with binos, even caught a few images with the camera on a standard tripod with 30s exposures. just wish I knew a little more about photoshop and processing skills to see if I could bring any more detail out in the photos.

My first comet under my belt and looking forward to later in the year.

i have seen around 8 times since its arrival and it is certainly no flop! its easy to view in bino's and has a nice size tail already. i am very surprised how quickly it position changes from night to night. looking forward to pointing my scope at it sometime soon.

After 18 days of cloudy skies, I finally saw the damn thing on Saturday night just gone, by which time it was probably fainter than it had been. But, a sighting is a sighting, and I saw it again last night, so I shouldn't moan - at least I've had some clear sky at last!

I spotted it naked eye on March 15th, by standing on my workshop roof to get enough height to see past neighbouring houses. I caught a few pictures with my 300mm lens on the DSLR on a static tripod. It was great to catch it on camera, but I'm just as pleased to be able to say I saw it naked eye.

c2011l4panstarrs2.jpg

The next clear night/dusk wasn't until March 30th when I caught this shot through the scope.

c2011l4panstarrs3.jpg

I have seen the comet tonight at 8.55 p.m. I was using my Opticron 8 x 40 HR binoculars.Very clear sky,but very cold indeed.Anyway,I can say that I saw comet Panstarrs.Roll on comet Ison later this year.Hope that it wows us all.

Martin.

Archived