Narrowband

Comet or flop?

Well folks, being in Western Canada is not helping me to see the comet this week. :( I have been up a few nights already trying to take advantage of the new moon, & all the events this week has to offer, but cloud, rain & snow all week & into the weekend will not be helpful, to say the least. With clouds & rain/snow expected until at least this coming Sunday, :clouds2::clouds1: I have almost lost all hope of getting a picture right after the comet swings around the sun. I was seriously hoping to get a few minutes of clear skies in the early evening to frame a picture or 2 but clouds on both sides of the Rockies is keeping the clear skies at bay.

I can only hope the folks at the Texas/Arizona star party :blob3::blob5::blob1::blob10: are having better luck.

If, with any luck, I get a chance to snap a pic or two, I promise to share with you all. However, for the moment, weather in Western Canada will be cloudy with rain/snow till Sunday, so my hopes are falling. :dontknow::crybaby2:

I do wish ev1 the best of luck with their efforts to capture the comet & hope others are having better luck than I.

Cheers!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess it was my lucky day in Brighton this eve. Clouds cleared just in time. So glad i got me bins, they're not that powerful ( 7 x 50 ) but with all this weather they've been invaluable.

Was about to give up on astronomy completely coz the weather but Comet Pan-Starrs has renewed my energy. Not only was it nice to see it so clearly with the tail clear, but it was also nice to show passers by who'd never looked

up on a clear night a relatively rare celestial event. ( looked a bit weird standing on a street corner with bins against me face) but hey ho, needs must.

Good luck to all who go hunting , it's well worth it.

thankfully the clouds stayed away from the west tonight and the comet was easily seen with 7x36 bins. the fanned tail was obvious and it's the best view I have had of a comet since I got back into astronomy. if you have it in the field and it's dark enough, you really cannot miss it even with low power bins. hope everyone gets it soon! it was a lot brighter than I expected and higher.

Thanks, Barry, called up again tonight, sadly there was a cloud hanging over the horizon and at one point I thought I saw it but it was contrails of a plane coming from its direction :( nice moon clear as a bell.

Jim

Took a bit of finding but was surprisingly bright when I did find it. Low down in the murk but bright core and tail still clearly visible (using 15x70 bins)

So what mag would you estimate ?

Dave

So what mag would you estimate ?

Dave

Difficult to say as it was in a fairly murky part of the sky not fully dark. Perhaps mag 1? I couldn't see it with the naked eye, but the core seemed pretty bright in bins. Be interesting to see what others estimate it at.

Had several attempts from my home location (near Chichester) but either found trees in the way or low cloud on the horizon obscuring the view. Only hope is that the cold and clear weather will continue for a night or two more and give me some more opportunities.

Martin :sad:

Had some weird weather today, at one point was snowing heavily but with sun shining brightly. Had me looking for a snow-rainbow :smiley: . All cleared nicely just in time for sunset though, and although I struggled to view the comet visually I did get a few good images (DSLR+50mm f1.8 lens).

DSC_2576a.jpg

Nice picture you have there Paulf. Your pic is the best of the 4-5 that I have seen so far. I'm still clouded out, with no chance of clear skies for another 2-3 days.

Best of luck to all who are trying to see this event.

Cheers!

We finally got a glimpse from Hampshire yesterday evening. We were battling clouds but fortunately they parted just enough for the comet to be seen. The moon and Stellarium were crucial in guiding us to the right spot. But it was there and once seen, easy in the binos. Naked eye.....no chance! In the Startravel 120....superb!

Didn't last long though, swallowed up by the clouds pretty quickly.

Against a dark sky i reckon it would be pretty impressive. But alas its the usual slim pickings for the Northern Hemisphere.

Archived