Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone else made a schoolboy error?

Fordos Moon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all astro related but a real schoolboy error all the same - not sure if I should admit this !!

I once put 2 sets of them armband swimming aids on my ankles - I then proceeded to jump into the swimming pool - I immediately went upside down and could not turn upright - i nearly drowned :grin: :grin:

I had to be pulled out by the life guard with that big hook thing they have.

1. Looking at the moon with a moon ND filter on and then going in search of some Messier objects with the filter still on and forgetting to remove it.

2. Failing to remove the mirror cover.

3. Removing the Telrad and not re-collimating it once it's replaced on the scope.

etc etc..... the list goes on.

Done the classic day/month format error a few times when setting up my go-to. Actually, come to think of it, the manufacturer's are wrong not me, lol.

I've tried to set-up and align my 8Se and wondered why I can't see anthing - then had to take the front cover off.

Done the classic day/month format error a few times when setting up my go-to. Actually, come to think of it, the manufacturer's are wrong not me, lol.

I've tried to set-up and align my 8Se and wondered why I can't see anthing - then had to take the front cover off.

I did the date thing last week which took me half an hour to figure out!!

Not at all astro related but a real schoolboy error all the same - not sure if I should admit this !!

I once put 2 sets of them armband swimming aids on my ankles - I then proceeded to jump into the swimming pool - I immediately went upside down and could not turn upright - i nearly drowned :grin: :grin:

I had to be pulled out by the life guard with that big hook thing they have.

i've just wee'd a little :grin:

I've left a lens cap on my Ethos eyepieces a few times. The Ethos has a 2" "skirt" but the cap goes on the 1.25" barrel inside that and it's easy to forget it's still on there.

It's a translucent cap so you can actually make out dim images through it. I spent quite a few minutes the last time I did this wondering where the sudden heavy fog had come from, until the penny dropped :rolleyes2:

I thionk my finest has to be at PSP2011, we had a very good night viewing and in the early hours i was talking with moonshane, i asked "whats that star" Jupiter was the reply, in my defence thin cloud had rolled in the the "star of Jupiter" was dimmed

I was setting up to observe using my NexImage webcam. I had centered Jupiter using the eyepiece and flipped the mirror. I fired up AMCap and there was a fuzzy orangeish globe. Brilliant I thought, that was easy just need a bit of focusing. I got up and adjusted the focus and couldn't see anything on the screen. I checked that Jupiter was still in the FOV and sat back down at the laptop when the globe appeared again. I then realised it was my face in the dark. I had forgotten to switch the to the right camera and it was the inbuilt laptop camera that was active.

Forgot to change the year on the synscan & wondered why it wasn't slewing to Jupiter, after around 3 alignment attempts the penny dropped. I've lost count how many times I've forgot to remove dust caps.

I think one of the worst things that did happen is when I set up the mount I went & got my scope before realising I'd forgot the weights. No matter I thought I put the scope on the table in the garden & went back for the weights. As I was fitting the weights I heard this sound when I looked round I saw my scope go thud on the ground mirror end first!!!. Fortunately I have to set up on the lawn & with all this wet weather we've had all I got was a muddy tube so no damage, phew!! I won't be making that mistake again.

Spent the evenin and nigt to 2am taking photos of a comet, and some nebulea imder an ideal UK sky.

Next day, took the film out of the camera..... to find.... NO FILM.

ie Forgot to load it

Meedless to say the next week was cloudy.... and I was not in a happy place

I mistook a cloud for the Pleiades once.

Plonking the tripod down somewhere I couldn't see Polaris from.

Not properly tightening the alt lock knob on the binocular's tripod. That earned me a clonk on the forehead from the objective barrels.

Many times popping inside to make a cuppa by red light, then not closing my eyes when opening the fridge.

Archived