NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 06.02.13 in fair seeing.

theo

This evening was pretty difficult...quite blustery at my location near to the coast and seeing varying more that usual. I think this is about the best I managed from this session. Jupiter looking significantly smaller that the last time I managed to get out on the 15th Jan!!

Quite a challenge but still able to pull out some decent detail thankfully. :smiley:

Usual set-up: LX200ACF 12", DFK21AU618 OSC Camera.

Pete.

post-22012-0-09792700-1360351436_thumb.j

Thanks everyone. Don't think there will be many more opportunities on Jupiter as the lighter nights are fast approaching. Lets hope Saturn delivers some good images despite the low altitude!!!

Pete

Great work Pete you can get quality, even near the end of opposition. And with wind. Like you say it will be gone soon. I noticed a night recently where the transparency was awful, really dim. With large optics and low focal length, i am sure seeing would have been stable. But i didnt think my 245 mm could cut through that level of mist. But it must have been calm. I did think of your large optics. This is one area where large optics can really shine under stable but poor trans.

Great work Pete you can get quality, even near the end of opposition. And with wind. Like you say it will be gone soon. I noticed a night recently where the transparency was awful, really dim. With large optics and low focal length, i am sure seeing would have been stable. But i didnt think my 245 mm could cut through that level of mist. But it must have been calm. I did think of your large optics. This is one area where large optics can really shine under stable but poor trans.

Hi Neil,

I have had a couple of nights where seeing has been stable but the transparency low where you have to push the gain settings quite a bit above where they would normally be just to get a decent histo. I think you are right that this is where the larger aperture really helps to make the most of these sorts of conditions. To be honest I probably need to go back over some of the data from these nights as I have probably dismissed it too soon. This is the problem once you have had some good results, I always want to improve but of course that's not always possible with so factors out of our control!!.

Regards,

Pete

Archived