Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Pembrokeshire

Din

Hi all,

I thought I would join this group as a lot of questions I've been asking Google seemed to be answered here.

Just started to take up astronomy as a hobby. No equipment as yet other than a pair of 7 x 50 binoculars usually reserved for another activity, sailing.

I've been doing some research into mounts and scopes and so far decided on an HEQ5 but am undecided on whether to go for a refractor or cassegrain scope.

I'll be joining a local group soon where I hope to see some real scopes in the flesh. I don't think there are any retailers selling decent equipment locally, but I may be wrong.

Cheers

Ed

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ed and welcome to the forum. Well certainly getting the HEQ5 will provide you with plenty of options as its a proven scope whether it is for visual or imaging work. If imaging is going to be a future ambition, then you are likely to want to go down the refractor route rather than the cassegrain design given their focal length and perhaps a quick question over on the imaging section might help you further. Great idea going along to your astro group to get your eye in as this is really the only way of working out what size and type of scope will best meet your expectations. Don't forget to make a note of the eyepieces used as this can sometimes make a difference to what you see and will also help you in the future when you might decide to upgrade your eyepiece collection.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Thanks for the encouragement. And the info James.

I do enjoy photography so imaging would be a deciding factor and maybe a refractor is the way forward. I will check out the imaging section as you suggest. I've a DSLR which may be capable of taking images through a scope.

Cheers

Ed

Allright Ed!

There is a shop in Carmarthen that has a limited supply of telescope equipment, probably the closest to you. Also, the Swansea astronomical society is having a star party at the Oystermouth Castle down the Mumbles next Friday, but if you can wait a bit longer and don't want to travel so far they are having another one at the botanical gardens on the 22nd Feb. They really helped me find my feet by being there to ask questions without me feeling stupid. Hope to see you there!

Archived