NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are you ready for the return of Stargazing Live???

I must admit I am really looking forward to it. Have watched the previous ones and they have got better each time, so this years one has a huge billing to live up to.

With two very good presenters in Bri and Dara as well, so with that in mind this years Stargazing Live should be another beauty.

Read a thread from Steve @ FLO the other day saying that they were all stocked up with gear this time in anticipation of the impending Brian Cox effect.

All that remains is for the weather to be kind, so NO CLOUD OR RAIN please mr man from the Met Office. :smiley:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather is certainly not ready for the return of SGL. In fact has the weather ever been that good for Stargazing Live? Thinking back to last year the lasting memories are the village with the switch off but it tipped it down. And the guys sat if a field cloud watching.

I wonder if they would be better off moving it closer to March and the chance of some clearer skies.

as well as being on tv there's loads of events , hope you all get out to one near you. glasgow is having theres in the botanic gardens on gt western road helped by the ASG and i think helensburgh astronomical society as well hopefully the weather plays ball

They are apparently talking about Mars/Curiosity, SuperNovae, and comets and meteors - all subjects the man in the street can see through his telescope - NOT. The telescope they are trying to replicate I believe is the Herschel 40-footer, not holding my breath to be honest.

I'm looking forwards to the supernovae then. Curiosity will probably be the same as all those nasa videos we've all watched ;) Nothing is as good as watching meteors and comets anyway so yeah...

The 40ft telescope will be a fun touch I suppose. I hope we get to see some other amateur astronomer set ups to be honest

Can't wait for it......but i guess i;ll have to :grin:

Its like the Springwatch of the Astronomy world, both have a loyal following and are great to watch, bringing a whole new following to appreciate the hobby/pastime :)

Ready yes, but expect so many daft questions that I may just lock myself away for a month afterwards.

The Star Gazing Live intro on Look East started off tonight with Alex Dolen saying about presently looking at Saturn and it's 4 moons, as it was about 6:45 I think she meant Jupiter and it's 4 moons. Just bad when an early start for the program manages to get the object wrong.

Who wants to break the news that you cannot take images to rival Hubble with a £100 scope.

The other aspect is I have to put up with Dara O'Briain.

Yep ready and counting down the hours.

There is a local event at the Norman Lockyer Observatory on Wednesday the 9th at 7:30.

Sidmouth South Devon

Should be a good one, see you on Wednesday Pete :grin:

Also going to an event at Plymouth University on thursday.

Cheers,

Grahame.

Yep, all ready-everyone in the house warned its my time on the tv these coming three nights, programmes set for recording to watch again in the daytime too. Oh, and a nice drop of cider to watch with.

Have a most enjoyable three nights everyone.

Cheers,

Steve

Yep, I will be watching. Cant really see there being clear sky for it though, shame. I remember last year I was out imaging and watching it at the same time - happier than a pig in.. :)

No such luck this time, hard pushed to contribute any images this time too as ive only had couple of hours outside since the start of December - might have to scrape the bottom of the barrel for this one!

Well I hope it goes well for presenters along with some clear skies but I shan't be holding my breath. Anything on television that helps people to look up and realise that there is another world out there can only be a good thing and hopefully the BBC have been reading some of the feedback comments on forums like ours to help improve on previous shows.

Fingers crossed!

James

Really looking forward to it. It was complete fluke that the Christmas my wife bought me my first telescope was directly before the first series of Stargazing Live. Both Wonders and Stargazing Live played a huge part in kick starting this wonderful hobby for me.

Archived