NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do you set up alone?

FarSide

I just struggled placing my 10" reflector onto my mount and only just managed to do it by using my legs to hold the end in place and turn the screws to hold the dovetail in place - i'm sweating! How do you guys do it and can we share any decent ideas to do it alone without killing yourself or smashing things up accidentally?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just make sure you put the OTA on the mount in a horizontal position not upright just in case you drop it the tube. I then reach over and press the tube against the dovetail to hold it in position so i can tighten the screws up with my other hand.

I'd suggest you drill and tap the dovetail at the front end and add maybe an M6 or M8 cap head bolt of the right length so the head only sticks out. this would allow you to slide the dovetail in with no issues and it will hold as you tighten the handwheels. it also provides a safety stop in case of slippage.

Great idea, guys, James especially. My C9.25 is easy, but i had trouble with the 10". I'll have to give these ideas a go and see what i find my comfortable. Luckily i had a family member standing by just in case things went pear shaped.

With a 10" I couldnt - thats why I sold it :) If I am solo I only take a light tube like my TAL 100. I could manage my 180 Mak but the 8" starts to become a struggle and if I am honest I almost never take my 8" if I am solo.

The 10" I bought thinking it was doable - one trip in the field with it convinced me that even 2 up it was a massive pain - just getting down the stairs and into the car was hellish enough.

Strangely enough its two previous owners - big strapping rugby players - felt the same. Why I felt I could manage it remains a mystery like quantum foam and hyper inflation really. The man I sold it to was converting it to be a Dob which seems to be the most sensible thing to do.

ANyway a 10" is nigh on unmanagemable on an EQ mount. Lord knows how the 300P owners manage - perhaps they dont and thats why so many 300Ps get sold off on ebay :) They do usually state only used once :)

rotate the DEC axis so it is at horizontal position (at 0 degrees) and the knobs are facings towards the NCP, then place the dovetail along with the rings, then place the OTA, this way its much safer and easier as wookie said

Stand the scope (in it's rings and dovetail) upside down on a flat stool alongside the tripod with the dovetail close to the height of the mount. Then you'll be able to turn the axes till the shoe comes right next to the dovetail and you only have to nudge the two together and tighten up.

Make sure the weights are allready attached when you do this - take the stool away and you can swing the whole lot round into the starting position. :)

Stand the scope (in it's rings and dovetail) upside down on a flat stool alongside the tripod with the dovetail close to the height of the mount. Then you'll be able to turn the axes till the shoe comes right next to the dovetail and you only have to nudge the two together and tighten up.

Make sure the weights are allready attached when you do this - take the stool away and you can swing the whole lot round into the starting position. :)

I've got a 10" and didn't take it to Kelling this year because I found it a pain in the newtonian to handle it in and out of the tent*

Getting it up on the mount was the least of my problems really and I found the easiest was just to put it in the home position, hang on to it for dear life and drop it in the foot plate as described above.

Taking it out of the tube rings may make it a bit easier.

However this suggestion by brantuk above is outstanding and may mean I'm happier to take the beast back to Kelling where, I have to admit I had some fantastic views through it

Now I just have to find a stool and try it :-)

Thanks Kim!

David

*queue the benny hill music.....

What I did with my 250 Newt was put a couple of bolts through the dovetail. They would rest on the mount and take all the weight. That would leave me one hand to hold the scope and one to tighten the dovetail bolts. The C9.25 is so much lighter and can be held with one hand :)

When I had a 10" on an GEM years ago. It was possible to have the tube cradle open on the mount, place the tube in the open cradle, then close the cradle whilst holding it with one hand and tightening it with the other.

I used to have electrical tape on the tube to allow me to place it on the exact balance point every time.

Can't you put the dovetail and rings on first, then lift the scope into the rings? It should just sit in them whilst you do them up.

James

Rings on first, then clamp the scope on- thats how I deal with 20kg, 12" monster. Dissasembly - remove the rings & scope in one go.

When the day comes where I own a C14 it will be mounted permanently ! .........( not overly worried as it's never going to happen . . . :p )

Having got a "permanently" set position for the HEQ5Pro tripod feet and the mount adjusted and drift aligned nicely , I just haul the mount , with the ED80 Pro and the 70mm Guidescope on a dual bar , out of the nice big patio door and plonk it in it's place , done. . . :grin:

Punch the Date and time into the handset to the second off the laptop clock and off we go.

Sounds simple now but it took a while to get there I have to admit..........

Steve.

I use my 9.25 more than my 10" newt. Last night i thought i'd make a change and struggled with it - never struggled with the 9.25. I even could get the c14 easily onto my friends mount. Maybe with the 10/12" it's the length.

@Dave - glad to restore your confidence with the 10" mate - watch the video for the details I missed lol. :)

Definitely the way to do it Kim - thanks! Always wanted one of those chairs too har har!

David

I just struggled placing my 10" reflector onto my mount and only just managed to do it by using my legs to hold the end in place and turn the screws to hold the dovetail in place - i'm sweating! How do you guys do it and can we share any decent ideas to do it alone without killing yourself or smashing things up accidentally?

Do more push ups. :grin:

The real problem with setting a 254mm newtonian on a equatorial mount isn't the weight (I'm in the gym 4x a week @2hr sessions - so muscle ain't helping har har)

It's the awkward distribution of the weight when you're putting it on the mount - that sort of situation will throw your back out in a heartbeat. When you can - you avoid lifting anything. Setting it on a stool and swinging the mount head around is a fantastic solution (re: brantuks post). I'm looking forward to trying that and buying myself a new observing stool - that ones sure to make it past HQ as I can say I'm avoiding a back injury! :-)

David

Archived