Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you set up alone?

FarSide

The rings stay permanently attached to the pier which I keep in the back of the garage, so first job is to lift that onto my shoulder and march it out to the back garden - either near the house for West or down the bottom for North & East (South is not good for me, houses and streetlights).

I then rough-align the mount and open the tube rings.

Then I get the OTA from under my bed and carry it in a bear hug down the stairs and out to the pier. Taking the weight on my thigh I tilt it until it's lying in the rings, then flip them closed and do up the catches. I then position the OTA for balance and rotate so the focuser is in a sensible position, then tighten the rings. Then take off the end cap and leave it pointing down to cool.

It's not too bad with a 6", but I'm always careful with it up and down the stairs. Anything bigger and I'd probably get a sealed case and keep it in the garage with the pier.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd suggest you drill and tap the dovetail at the front end and add maybe an M6 or M8 cap head bolt of the right length so the head only sticks out. this would allow you to slide the dovetail in with no issues and it will hold as you tighten the handwheels. it also provides a safety stop in case of slippage.

Thats exactly what I had to do , and I'm only lifting 100mm refractor with ST80 0n top, has the added advantage of the scope ending up in the same place each time, easier to balance as counter weights

ended up in same place.

Dave

I'm quite a strong guy, Atlas, i don't think i could lift a C14 if i wasn't. The problem is the awkwardness with the 10". I'm going to go for the keeping the rings attached to the mount first, if i struggle with that i'll give modding my losmandy DT and see if that helps. Thanks, guys.

2 minutes, open the obby, turn on the light, and roll off the roof :p:grin: .

Seriously, before I had an obby I would place the tripod on marks I had made on the patio, just check the level, put the head of the mount onto the tripod, put the tube ring on so it's in a horizontal position and lock it all down, then the counter weights and bar, finally put my 10 inch newtonian on the ring, I had a couple of marks on the OTA so I knew that it was balanced, It took 5mins without breaking a sweat .

I can't set up the telescope on my own! I have to wait until one of my boys are home and get them to do it

for me.

The chances of having someone here to set the scope up and a cloud free night at the same time are about

100-1 so it mostly gathers dust in the office!

A long belt/strap/whatever around your neck and looped around the tube means it's secure until it's in the cradle. Simple and effective. It's the way I've done it for sixteen years.

I'm quite a strong guy, Atlas, i don't think i could lift a C14 if i wasn't. The problem is the awkwardness with the 10". I'm going to go for the keeping the rings attached to the mount first, if i struggle with that i'll give modding my losmandy DT and see if that helps. Thanks, guys.

I was just playing. I too have fun mounting my 10". I'll set it on the mount, resting the base on my thigh, while with the same leg, steady the tripod so it doesn't tip. Then tighten with my other hand. I put a handle on the top of my scope, so it isn't as awkward. I can't wait to see what happens when my patio freezes over this winter.

The blooming NEQ6 mount is lighter, i swear. No it isn't but it might as well be. Gave the ring idea a go tonight and it worked. I do however like the safety of modding the dovetail so i'm going to B and the Q tomorrow to see what i can do about it.

That scope is making me drool. But wifey says I can't have one untill I retire from the military and get a permenant home to mount it. I would hate to pack it up and ship it around every couple years.

Archived