Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hello from germany

mister brot

hello everyone...I am american born, and have been living in germany since 1984. I am sort of new to astronomy... :undecided: sort of as in just liked mags reading stories and looking at pics and once and a while looked through scope to look at moon.

My favorite deep space object is horsehead nebula......I have a (very old and cheep-bought in discount store) 5 inch newtonian scope and have gotten it out maybe 20 or 30 times in the last 25 (said it was old :grin: ) years...never new about aligning scope right :huh: ....just pointed in general direction and tried to keep object in lens......this was always fustrating :mad: . scope has been in basement the last 5 years collecting dust.

Then I saw a video on youtube showing how to align and balance an equalateral mount .

I am now a new born astronomy excited person again and in the last week have had scope out 4 times....and am enjoy my scope and am finaly realizing beauty of astronomy through a telescope. I am looking forward to hopfully getting some tips and with time give a little to someone new to astronomy....happy viewing to all :grin:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi mister brot and welcome to the forum. It's funny how a simple piece of advice can make such a difference in astronomy and we have all been on the receiving end of this in the past. To help you further in your astronomy quest, you might like to think about downloading 'Stellarium' (if you haven't already) and is a free piece of planetarium software that is really easy to use and can be viewed here. There are some useful 'toys' to play about with when the inevitable clouds set in and include the ability to configure the view to replicate the sky shown from your actual viewing location and one other useful feature that I like, is the advance date/time facility that allows you to anticipate when objects are going to be appearing - very useful if your view is partly obstructed and you want to plan your viewing session. That are other many other features too that are to numerous to mention but it certainly is a useful tool to at least help you find some great objects. Lots of advice, reviews and discussions on the many forums here to keep you busy and out of mischief and look forward to hearing about your future observations.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

hello everyone...I am american born, and have been living in germany since 1984. I am sort of new to astronomy... :undecided: sort of as in just liked mags reading stories and looking at pics and once and a while looked through scope to look at moon.

My favorite deep space object is horsehead nebula......I have a (very old and cheep-bought in discount store) 5 inch newtonian scope and have gotten it out maybe 20 or 30 times in the last 25 (said it was old :grin: ) years...never new about aligning scope right :huh: ....just pointed in general direction and tried to keep object in lens......this was always fustrating :mad: . scope has been in basement the last 5 years collecting dust.

Then I saw a video on youtube showing how to align and balance an equalateral mount .

I am now a new born astronomy excited person again and in the last week have had scope out 4 times....and am enjoy my scope and am finaly realizing beauty of astronomy through a telescope. I am looking forward to hopfully getting some tips and with time give a little to someone new to astronomy....happy viewing to all :grin:

just to set things straight....my scope is a german 4 and a half inch (not 5 :rolleyes: )bresser optic... here is a newer model mine is bright orange :icon_rolleyes: and has a wooden tripod 17201_4.jpg

Archived