Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

166-pane last quarter Moon

Starman

Hi all,

Not posting much in SGL of late but I am still imaging as much as I ever did. Here's a 166-pane hand stitched mosaic from August 10th when the Moon was at last quarter phase. The separate panes were caught between 04:06 and 04:49 BST using a C-14 at prime focus and a PGR Flea-3 camera.

The image is too large to show in one hit so I'm presenting it in a zoomable format - just follow the link...

http://www.zoom.it/ephS#full

Best regards,

Pete

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A superb image and I would imagine a huge amount of work.

With a capture time of just 43 minutes and 166 images that's only 15 seconds to slew the scope and to capture the AVI.

You were either very busy for 43 minutes or the slewing and/or image capture was automated. If it was automated, what software did you use?

Hi all, thanks for the great comments.

Yes, this was a lot of work, took ages to post process the panes. Movement of scope was completely manual, once you get into a rhythm it's not that hard. Helped by a camera with 120fps peak rate though of course. The seeing through some parts of the capture was very good indeed. I was in two minds whether to carry on or simply switch to a higher power. In the end I'm glad I finished it.

Capture software was Firecapture.

Pete

Archived