Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh wow! I have seen the space station for the first time!

sallystar

I am sitting out in the garden with a cup of tea, my telescope and my iPad. I

Spotted something flying over and when I checked my iPad it was the space station. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm just as excited as the first time I saw Saturn and I just thought I would

share my excitement with you all!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, i just went outside to watch it too. Always amazing, i check stell and go out and see whenever i can. Even though its just a light to us, i find it amazing to think that people are aboard that light. I always thought about seeing it with the scope but i dont know if i could track it fast enough, anyone tried this?

I am sitting out in the garden with a cup of tea, my telescope and my iPad. I

Spotted something flying over and when I checked my iPad it was the space station. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm just as excited as the first time I saw Saturn and I just thought I would

share my excitement with you all!

I love seeing the space station go over - even if I have to curb my wanting to wave at it!!!

We saw it last night and a few moments later saw the most spectacular meteor - I have never seen anything like it - we were so excited.

Yep, i just went outside to watch it too. Always amazing, i check stell and go out and see whenever i can. Even though its just a light to us, i find it amazing to think that people are aboard that light. I always thought about seeing it with the scope but i dont know if i could track it fast enough, anyone tried this?

I have tracked it in my scope (130eq) with a 25mm EP but I don't remember making out much detail - I think I saw a slightly rectangular shape, but to my eyes it was still a very bright object, a bit too bright to discern a proper outline, and I was far to busy trying to keep up with it too :grin:

I don't think I would be quick enough to track it with my telescope. I was so excited about it last night

that I have just been outside for another look tonight. I even managed to get my boys off their computers

to have a look. That's impressive in itself!

It's worth a go, quite amazing what you can see. I used around x50, and focussed on a star before it appeared. It's quite easy to pick up when it first appears as it is moving relatively slowly, you should be able to adjust the focus whilst tracking it. I was using a manual mount and just kept shifting it ahead of the ISS and letting it fly across the fov. Gave up when it was going overhead, then picked it up again. I could see the various solar panels and other detail, amazing

Stu

I love seeing the space station go over - even if I have to curb my wanting to wave at it!!!

We saw it last night and a few moments later saw the most spectacular meteor - I have never seen anything like it - we were so excited.

Was this going in the opposite direction to the flight of the ISS? I think I may have witnessed exactly the same moment!

It's amazing, isn't it! I always make sure I go out to have a look at it. If you go to the ISS website, you will find a link to station sightings and you can put in your location data and get a list of the dates and times that it is visible from where you are! Fab-u-lous!

It's amazing, isn't it! I always make sure I go out to have a look at it. If you go to the ISS website, you will find a link to station sightings and you can put in your location data and get a list of the dates and times that it is visible from where you are! Fab-u-lous!

its also shown on stellarium too incase you didnt know, i went out to see it again tonight :) had a look with the bins but was too wobbly and bright lol

Went out to have another look tonight as well, for me its one of them things one will never get bored of looking at, even my parents came out to have a look as well. Its not going to surprise me if my dad starts coming outside with me to have a look through the telescope when i get one.

I dont know if im going peculiar in my old age but it sort of reminds me of when i was a kid and my brothers would take me to the footbridge going over the railway line to see the train passing underneath and having the urge to wave at the driver, i have to keep my hands in my pockets as i feel that same urge at times, lol.

Archived