NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

When and why did you get into this game?

cotterless45

A lot of folk started off about 2 years ago, being stimulated by bRIAN cOX.

I had a good start at school, my maths teacher being ex Cambridge Miss Newton, a descendant. Math done , an elipse would be drawn on the board and the planets exposed. We also had 2 excellent physics teachers , who would by their enthusiasm infect even the dullest of brain ( mine).

At the time a 6" reflector was rare for an amateur.

Prior to the Cox, I rekindled the flames of interest and can only think most fondly of those distant school days .

Nick.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr Cox inspired me and probably a lot of other people. Has a knack for getting the info across in a cool but informative way.

And he used to be in a band. Been through it all this lad. :)

Rob

I first became interested when I was 3 years old and pointed at the moon and asked "what is that?" Throughout my childhood my desire to learn about the universe continued to grow, and thanks to very supportive parents that desire was nurtured. Until my early teens my optical aid came via my father's binoculars and then I acquired my first scope, a 4.5" Newtonian on a shaky GEM, but despite its short comings, it opened up the night sky in amazing new ways.

My education followed a similar path and I left Uni after 4 years of studying Physics and Astrophysics with a masters degree. Despite the Physics department’s hopes that I would start a PhD, the bright lights (which now suck in pursuit of this wonderful hobby) of London called and my interest in astronomy returned me to being an enthusiastic amateur. It is 30 years since I first pointed at the moon and about 20 since I first started using telescopes, so I am pretty old in this game. :laugh:

And long may my interest continue.

Clear skies,

Space was the 'new frontier' when I was a child in the 60's. All those shows like 'Space Patrol','Fireball EXL5',and later,the original 'Startrek'.Also in the real world,I can remember the first transmission of Telstar,and in '69 the moon landing. The first book to wet my enthuisiasm for the night sky was H.A. Rey's 'The stars - a new way to see them'.Luckily for me,this was in the school library(though it probably spent more time at our house!).This gave me a good basic grounding in navigating my way around the night sky. I recently bought a copy (updated) for old times sake,and I have to say that it's still a great introduction to the night sky.If you don't believe me,check out what the authors of 'Turn left..' have to say about it. And of course,there was always 'The Sky at night'.

As a kid in Wiltshire in the 60's, used to look up and identify the various constellations. Ursa minor was always the easy one, would read up on them and that led me into physics, helped in no small amount by a good physics teacher.

After school and university looking up wasn't really followed much until a chance interview about 12 years back when a small scope was acquired and eventually put to use.

Made enquiries a while afterwards into an MSc, expected to find a distance learning option but none. Quite disappointed in that.

Visited a couple of astro clubs with varying degrees of disappointment and pleasure.

I have always had an interest in science and the 'universe' as well as natural history. the latter took over for most of my adult life but I can recall the butterflies in the pit of my stomach when I was very young, trying to work out what on earth infinity/universal meant in terms of where it all ended, what was outside and if there were others like us out there somewhere. I was lucky enough even though birding at the time to see Hyakutake and Hale Bopp as well as a couple of decent solar eclipses (partial) on my travels.

I got into astronomy and science again thanks to Bill Bryson. I read A Short History of Nearly Everything about three years ago and was hooked again. Within weeks I'd bought a scope and that was that. It's a lifelong hobby again for me I think.

Sitting in front of a black and white TV listening to James Burke commenting on the end of the "Project Apollo" back in 1972. Next came Carl Sagan with "Cosmos" and my first telescope, never looked back since.

About 5 years ago I was casting around for something to do with my spare time and decided on astronomy (the armchair kind) and bought Dinah L. Moche's book - never read it in the end but stumbled across Stellarium. Spent a few years occasionally looking at the skies with a pair of bins I had inherited from my Grandad - was mighty chuffed when I spotted M45 (didn't even know what they were called then - they were the 'Seven Sisters' to me) - I was stood on a chair leaning against the neighbours 6' fence as they were low in the East.

Then there came along this bloke on the telly - Mr Cox - and a public star gazing party where I saw Jupiter through a ?6/8" Schmidt Cassegrain (bloke got a bit disgruntled when I asked if it was a Mak) - there was a huge queue for the monster Dob. Wow I thought that's great (I'd seen Jupiter and some moons through the bins but this was very different to say the least.

After much reading bought a Tal 100rs thanks to Nightfisher and Caldwell 14 raving about them on here.

Now comes the fevers - aperture fever, eyepiece fever, I want one-itis.

I have a freind with a tasco scope that he never managed to see anything through until I told him that you take the end cap off. It wasnt much better so I borrowed another freinds 76mm celestron and was amazed at the moon and blown away by jupiter. There wasnt any detail but there was 4 moons and that was that.

This was last novemberish and I have come a long way since then and yet still only just starting.

I have a freind with a tasco scope that he never managed to see anything through until I told him that you take the end cap off. It wasnt much better

:icon_clown: Priceless!

I have always had a passing interest in astronomy, but things really started to take hold when on various holidays in the US, rafting in the Grand Canyon and hiking in Bryce Canyon Utah exposed me to the most incredible night skies that I had never senn back home. Like Moonshane I was spurred on further by Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, but the thing that finally tipped me over the edge was using trying out Google Sky Map on my wife's phone. Once I was able to start identifying stars it was only a matter of time before I got binoculars and then my 200P.

I think my interest in the night sky started when I was a teenager. Being outdoors on scout camps & seeing all those stars. I had astronomy books back then too. I never really followed through back then & only knew a few constellations. After that came the Apollo missions, which I became obsessed with. I was & still am amazed at what technology can do & setting seemingly impossible goals ("Land a man on the moon before the end of the decade"). I was inspired. Every thing to do with space became my interest.

Busy pursuing earthly interest distracted me from taking up the hobby. But a change of circumstance & a lot more free time has meant I could join an astronomy club last year. I then started to see the nights sky for the first time through a telescope. Having watched many different TV documentaries I think I have a good understanding of what is out there. But seeing the planets & other cosmological wonders live really rekindled the need to have my own telescope. I had always wanted one but never taken the plunge until a couple of months ago.

I now have my own telescope & despite being probably 20 years later than it should have been I'm glad I have. So much to see & like minded people to share with.

What a great hobby we have.

I was into astronomy before BC. :D

Well, only slightly - although like everyone else I loved the night skies and enjoyed some of the events such as the solar eclipse, lunar eclipses and Hale Bopp; it really was a combination of the marketing campagn of the IYA in 2009, the advent of cheaper and better quality optical equipment and a generous relative that dovetailed into the skywatcher I am today.

For me it was the Apollo 11 moon landing, sky at night and Carl Sagan's cosmos series. my first scope was the obligatory Tasco 70mm refractor, which didn't last long. I then got into girls, music and beer and astronomy went out the window and i forgot about it. Until ....the Cox and stargazing live, then i was hooked again and at 54yrs old with 6 kids, i don't chase girls anymore (too knackered) :smiley: . I bought my first scope the 127 mak, turn left at orion and never looked back (or up damned clouds :sad: ).

For me it was my Dad when I was little.

Showing me the Moon and Planets through his big binoculars mounted on a tripod out in the back garden, telling me all about the Solar system and comets. I still remember him showing me Halleys comet back in 1986 when I was 8, I thought that was amazing. I was fascinated from then. Think I had my first little telescope when I was about 10 and have had one since (I'm now 34). Looking forward to taking my new 250 flextube round to my olds this Autumn and showing him some Messiers. Just hope it fits in the car!

I've had a smouldering fascination with the night sky since I was little. I recall snippets of memories-being shown one of the early satellites crossing the sky by my Dad (it must have been pre-1960 when we moved house) and having a very large poster on my bedroom wall (price two shillings and six pence) of the solar system at a time when Jupiter and Saturn had fewer known moons and Pluto was a planet in its own right. In 1967 being able to stay up to watch 'The Sky at Night' while on hoiday at Butlins Pwllheli. Watching the Apollo 11 Moon landing on tv in 1969 (they did land-right?). My well thumbed 4th edition copy of Patrick Moore's Naked Eye Astronomy purchased in 1976 with part of my student grant-far better than spending it on beer. A big gap followed while a family was raised and I was then drawn back by the advent of Slooh. Only in more recent times have I had the means to view the heavens with a telescope, and while I am smitten with the detailed view of the Double cluster through my 9.25" SCT and toy at computer control, the simple eye/binocular views are always the most rewarding I find.

I blame Brian Cox and my iPad!

I saw what I thought was a very bright star and bought the Night Sky app for my iPad to find out what it was. It turned out to be Venus and I couldnt believe that I was looking at a planet.I then bought the Brian Cox DVD box set followed by my Skywatcher 200p, four eye pieces, a moon filter, a light pollution filter and my telrad is due to be delivered tomorrow. I have even made a solar filter! Oh and a weather station so that I can keep an eye out for clear nights.It's been quite an expensive year so far and it's only July!I have

Started writing my Christmas list and I'm trying to be good as its getting longer by the day!

As a kid in the 70s I was into all the moonshot stuff. I did project the 2004 transit of Venus on to a screen at work but I'd never really taken much interest in stars. Then last winter Ubuntu on my laptop recommended Stellarium for some reason and a run of clear nights got me hooked. The rubbish spring and summer and the LP haven't managed to kill of the enthusiasm.

As a kid in the 70s I was into all the moonshot stuff.

Same here. Then Jaws came out and I wanted to be a Marine Biologist... :)

Many years later I was studying Fine Art at Uni and had been "playing" with Optics for a while. I saw a red Tasco telescope on sale in a shop so bought it. An hour later I was furious to discover the 50mm objective was a simple plano-convex lens stopped down to 35mm. After replacing all the optics (long story) I pointed it at a bright reddish star. There was a little globe with a hint of white on the top. Mars!

Almost twenty years later and I've still got the bug, my enthusiasm waxes and wanes but never disappears.

I did buy one more Tasco (£10 from a charity shop). Almost as old as me and made from metal and glass.

Ever since my Mum bought me a book called "The Starry Heavens" back in 1952, (and I've still got it!) I soak up any science and sci-fi stuff and have watched sky at night for as long as I can remember. Only this year did I manage to come by a scope and have become a bit obsessed. I only wish I had started years ago, there's so much to learn and so little time :shocked:

Sitting in front of a black and white TV listening to James Burke commenting on the end of the "Project Apollo" back in 1972. Next came Carl Sagan with "Cosmos" and my first telescope, never looked back since.

My fascination started in much the same way - though I also have very blurry memories of dad waking us up really early on that eventful day in1969 too. I even collected the cards (the same set you see Brian Cox with in one of his episodes). Never had a telescope though - off and on toyed with various pairs of more or less awful bins, but that was it. And then I got hooked on archaeology in my teens and spent the next 30 odd years looking at the ground instead of the sky. Always retained some residual astro fasciantion though, watching launches or horizon programmes on astrophysics or probe landings and of course the inimitable Patrick Moore's Sky at Night. But what really kicked it off seriously for me was watching Prof Cox's Wonders of the Solar System and then Stargazing Live 2012. I'd luckily just had a bonus from work and pretty much instantly began trawling scope reviews and bought a nexstar 8SE within a week or so. Now I have four scopes and I know so much more than before about the history of astronomy and evolution and development of scopes, and about stars, "fuzzies", planets, gas, electrons, really large measurements of distance and way more than I ever wanted to about clouds too :). Actually I now know enough to know how very very little I know...if that makes sense! I don't regret not making astronomy a big part of my life for the last 40 odd years, but I;m really looking forward to it being a major thing in the next 40 or more ;)

Archived