Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all! New here,but there's too many clouds!

Tlawrence84

Hey everyone, new to he forums. Bought some celestron 15x70's just over a couple weeks back, and we have had 1 night so far where I have been able to see the moon! Quite disapointing as the most use of them I have had so far is to see the planes now taking off from Southend airport.

Still, this won't deter me from beginning this hobby, still saving all those pennies for a telescope. I'm in what seems to be a common dilemma, do I go refractor or reflector.

I'm thinking reflector at the moment, as I understand they are easier to transport (I'm hoping to take this camping with me) and they work better in light polluted areas. so I have some reading on here to do before I make my purchase, don't worry, this post isn't asking that question! My first question to you all though, know any good shops to view scopes in Essex?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the lounge! Personally I prefer refractors, but aperture is pretty much king, whether or not you are in a light polluted area. A smaller telescope in a "dark sky" will be better than a larger scope in a light polluted sky, whatever the type. However, generally you can get more aperture for your money with a Dobsonian mounted reflector. As for portability, its pretty much dependent on what you are comfortable carrying, as well as how you want to mount your scope (a decent equatorial can weigh a fair bit!). And for the moment your nice bins will give you lots of fun (assuming this grey murk ever goes away....).

Welcome aboard!

EDIT - not sure of shops in Essex - might be your nearest bet is to go into London - Widescreen Centre, Dorset Street W1, maybe?

Wow, thanks for all the welcomes! It's great to be part of a very active community, I feel like I've made a great choice in hobby with all the help that is out there.

Clear skies at the moment, caught another easy jet plane going over my house today with the bins! Hopefully it stays like this for tonight and I can start mapping out the moon with my trusty iPad apps (will need to start a thread about the iPad I think).

Looks like I'm back to the drawing board based on a couple of the replies as to refractor vs reflector (again, another thread for the beginners board).

Archived