NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi to all

woodbob123

Hello answer to Bob, wife is the astronamer I go along to put it all together hold the ladder and say wow at intervals, But I build things at present have a 24" mirror awaiting it's final polish and figure my first one so should be interesting when i start the final stretch!!. Other projects on the back burner are a wedge type mount for our 12" dob using a wheel bearing from a transit axle and ply wood I will explain if asked. Would like to make my own mirror blanks thinking of a furnace and several layers slumped together. Also build things as diverse as metal detectors and a medieval loom. You may have guessed I'm retired with a workshop. Have a 12" dob 4" celestron goto which we use when ever possible, but always seem to at beginner level. Live in south Wales and overlook 3 Cities so you can imagine the light poluttion.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bob and welcome to SGL

I too would like to see pics of the 24" when it's completed.

Other projects on the back burner are a wedge type mount for our 12" dob using a wheel bearing from a transit axle and ply wood I will explain if asked.

You know we're gonna ask. :grin:

Luke

Hi Bob welcome to SGL, I also dabble in my workshop, but not with projects to the extent you are going to, that is some big mirror you are polishing and its not going to be cheep to have it sent away to have its finished coating either. that really will bring a new meaning to " hold the ladder steady dear please " :rolleyes:

John.

Hi Bob (+wife) and welcome to the forum. I was trying to think of a way of combining a medieval loom and a 24" dob as away of combining projects and effort but the final design eludes me for now - I'll have to get back to you on that one! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Clear skies for now

James

Thanks for nice comments 24" will hopefully see stars this winter, have been taking photos of large wedge mount for dob will get on with that next week. Just for info loom is mostly made from wood that is around 500 years old came out of river usk with the Newport ship was part of peir or held up ship in dry dock. Bob

Thanks for nice comments 24" will hopefully see stars this winter, have been taking photos of large wedge mount for dob will get on with that next week. Just for info loom is mostly made from wood that is around 500 years old came out of river usk with the Newport ship was part of peir or held up ship in dry dock. Bob

That's interesting Bob, quite some time ago I acquired some Oak from a Medieval house that was being renovated by the Trust in my City. An Archery trophy was made out of it, as by calculations the Oak tree from which the wood came would have been growing at the time of the battle of Agincourt :)

John.

Archived