Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How supportive is your partner?

stevetynant

Well this morning there was an arguement over the principle of street lighting turn-offs locally which she professed ambivalence to. Tonight and I get to choose the holiday let in North Norfolk and I ask only for clear, dark skies! My dearest can be prised out of the warm to view some 'new' celestial object but never twice. :smiley:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a partner (far too young for that!).

My parents will come out and have a look if there not doing anything that's more important. When I saw Saturn for the first time I ran into the house shouting and they came out to have a peek through the eyepiece then!

My Dad will take me up to Blaenavon when he's not busy or tired (providing I give him £5 toward's fuel!) and he took me there to have a successful viewing of the transit of Venus!

I can't complain!

I'm very lucky for sure, I met my wife on an Astronomy degree 12 years ago now. Without wishing to sound too soppy I remember before the degree started I was very much hoping I would meet someone like minded on the course who I could settle down with, we got talking whilst waiting for the very first lecture of the course with Dr Stuart Clark (bit of dude:) ). My wife doesn't come out imaging with me, but has occasionally looked through the various scopes I've had over the years, she's always interested to see how my final processed images turn out, and she's good on the kit front she authorised my obsy build this April:) Its good to be reminded how lucky I am, shes 30 very soon maybe I should get her one more present:D

My first scope was my wife's idea for my 40th birthday. Doesn't do the cold, but will have a look at the Moon and planets. Loves looking at the images I've managed to get so far. Whilst I'm out in the garden imaging she'll regularly appear at my elbow with a mug of tea for me and some biscuits, take a peek and then off indoors she goes. One evening during my lunar imaging marathon in that amazing week around the end of March (sigh) the mug of tea appeared, but this time with TWO bacon and fried egg rolls instead of the biscuits. Now that's support!

My husband is very tolerant and easy going, but has little interest himself, has looked at the Moon and Saturn once but can't understand the desire to look at "dots of light in the sky". He cuts out Astronomy articles for me to read, I don't have the heart to tell him "I already know about it" and he's been on a couple of Astro holidays with me too - COAA and Kelling as there were things to do during the daytime and another non astro husband to go drinking with.

Best of all I manage the finances so he never gets to see how much I spend, but he does see the parcels arriving, but never says a word, and he gave me the go-ahead for an observatory.

I would like him to go to more Astro camps and star parties with me, but I guess I am pretty lucky.

Carole

If it wasn't for my girlfriend I would not have started the hobby, although we both shared an interest in space she (kind of wrongly?) thought I meant I was interested in taking up astronomy. The reality was, in fact, that the thought of learning constellations and standing out in the cold to get a view of something that hubble could much better do for me, was not something I intended to pursue!

Having been given my first scope by her as a birthday present (best present ever btw!) last year my interest in astronomy has rocketed and now its a borderline obsession!

She loves to look at the planets and moon and is interested (or is at least very good at feigning interest) in seeing the end product when imaging and listening to the processes I go through to get them. She is not keen on the amount it costs me though!! Also she has accompanied me to Meteor-shower events and is happy to accompany me when necessary but I think she would rather stay inside with a cup of hot chocolate and read that Grey thingy :o

All in all I can't really ask much more <3

Six months ago I told my wife I was building an 8'x10' shed out in the back. Til this day she has no idea that I built an observatory. She surely must wonder why I'm out there almost nightly. Maybe not...

As one of the group whose partner "isn't really interested" I have to say that I just don't understand why some people are untouched by why it's possible to see and what we know about our origins as a result. I can understand that some people might even not find Saturn that exciting to see, but how can you fail to be moved by the idea that "we are stardust" is not just a line, it's genuinely true? If you wear a silver/gold/platinum/whatever wedding ring, how can you look at it knowing that everything you have wrapped around your finger was made in a few fleeting seconds as a massive star exploded at the end of its several billion year lifetime and not wonder at how amazing that is?

I'll never understand some people :)

James

My wife isn't interested either, but she's happy that i'm happy..... She say's astronomy is the equivalent to train spotting LOL

Hee hee, same here. She thinks I'm a right geek! Which is true technically, I was a computer programmer for years until I managed to escape...

Hey stevetynant,

It would appear that we are cut from the same cloth. In fact you original post could have been written by me. Hiding credit card bills, other half coming out to have a sneaky peek then dashing back inside as it is too cold etc.

To be fair to my beloved she is fantastic and finds it very amusing when I come back into the house for a vital piece of gear that I have forgotten, while sporting all my winter gear (wooly hat, gloves, duck down jacket, boots, thermals etc). She finds it hillarious, but she is also happy that I have found an interest that can be done from our back garden. It was a tricky one breaking the news of the cost of my new scope to her, but eventually she came around (just hope she is still of that frame of mind when the thing is actually delivered). My granddaughter on the other hand has had fleeting glimpses of interest, so she may end up taking her interest further.

I have a general unspoken agreement with my girlfriend. I can do as I wish during the week and come weekends dedicate my time with my loved one. It's not a rigid set up but seems to generally flow in that direction and so far, there have been no complaints.

Regarding stargazing itself, to be honest with you fellas, I figure that to the vast majority of people, looking at sparklers and grey fuzzies is very much similar to looking at buses, birds or trains. I couldn't imagine my girlfriend or anyone I know participating in such a pursuit, so wouldn't dream of even presuming to assume they would. And that works out fine, no pressure on any loved one to do anything which is a compromise to their being.

With that said, most of the things I do are kind of loner pursuits anyway. I love reading, studying, and writing and would seriously hate folk buzzing around me as I was getting on with these things. When it comes to sharing time with my girlfriend, we head out for tapas, go shopping together, restaurants, weekend breaks and long cycle rides.

I asked my wife if we could get a roof box for our car so when we go on holiday to north Wales I could bring my 200p. I then suggested that all of our holiday clothes could go in the roof box and the scope could have the boot to itself. If looks could kill I would have vaporized on the spot :) pity really I really want to get out to some really dark skies.

My wife is currently very supportive, but then it's been cloudy ever since I've had my scope!

I've even mentioned the idea of Star Parties, and now she's out and about looking at camping gear when I'm not around!

We'll see if it lasts, but I think she's genuinely keen to give it a go for herself, which is fabuous.

My wife has some, but not much, interest in looking. She seems to like Jupiter's moons. Before I got my scope, I would set up my bins on a tripod in our flat, and we would follow Jupiter's moons from night to night without going outside. After I got my scope, she seemed to enjoy shadow transits of Jupiter's moons.

My wife has a B.Sc and an M.Sc in physics, so I can get her to watch Brian Cox, and to discuss theory more than I can get her outside to observe.

We are both news junkies, and this is our main shared interest. We both check the CBC, BBC, and CNN websites daily, and we share stories. We also love to watch British mystery movies together. Currently enjoying Lewis.

Archived