Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello all from Salt Lake, UT

jokerb19

Howdy everyone. My name is jon, have been wanting to get into astronomy since i was a kid. Had an old department store cheap telescope when i was growing up and loved looking at the moon. I just purchased an Orion XT8 and am looking forward to learning more about the sky.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for the welcomes, yes i am very lucky to live relatively close to some dark sky. I can drive about a half hour and be in an area that has no light pollution. That is going to be my first stop once my telescope arrives in a day or two.

Hi and welcome.

Not only are you half an hour from some dark skies, you are half an hour from some skies that are darker by far than anything I ever saw in Europe.

I'll not forget driving back from Wendover past Bonneville at night. Even with the really high albedo from the salt flats, the skies were simply incredible. You're in a great place to take up astronomy. 15 years ago I nearly took a permanent job in Salt Lake. If I had, reckon I'd have a 30" dob by now :D

Best wishes.

Archived