Hello from a Sunny British Warship

JimmyTW

Hello everyone, Just thought I'd pop a simple "Hi", i'm currently deployed with the Royal Navy to the Indian Ocean/Arabian Gulf (Can't be more specific)

I've been an avid physics/space lover since a young age, and thought of no better time to start on my journey of astronomy than now....(The night sky is excellent out at sea)

So i've been reading, and researching, currently awaiting arrival of a set of bino's , Celestron SkyMaster 15x70's as well as Nightwatch & a few other books to start off with, my first aim is to really learn the sky before I invest in the inevitable telescope in the future.

I've got the bug that's for sure, any tips from those of you who were in this position a long while ago, good starting reference books etc...?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum!!! Bet the skys are amazing out there! A good pocket book would probably be the sky and telescope monthly guides helps you see the best that month. There's also turn left at Orion helpful at finding stuff but not the worlds best for bins I'm afraid. A member on here posts the best objects to view each month in bins (it's in the bino observing section)

You might want to think about a light weight tripod and heavy duty L bracket 15x70s are a little heavy holding at times :clouds2: I use mine on a Hama traveler pro mini.

Again welcome to the forum!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

I can think of at least one member here who works at sea, as soon as I can remember the username I'll update this : might be worth having a chat with them for suitable techniques :clouds2:

Hi and welcome, watch out for those pirates! I would recommend getting Turn Left at Orion book albeit as Gaz said not the best for bins. Probably a good general astro book with some good star charts for each quarter would also be beneficial, then you can learn some more facts when all you can do is read. Depending on where you are located you may want to get something for Southern Hemisphere as well, but I suspect Northern would do. When home maybe buy Sky at Night magazine as like other magazines it has a good mix of equipment reviews, latest astro news and a monthly guide of recommended targets for visual, imaging and sketching, always worth a read and so is Astronomy Now although that is much more technical but along the same lines.

Hi Jimmy and welcome to the forum. Well you are certainly going about it in the right way by taking your time and doing your research. My personal recommendation on the tripod front would be this one as it is a good quality, reasonably priced and importantly, has a maximum height of 180cm which might help save the neck a touch.

Go steady out there and catch you later on the forum.

James

Wlecome to SGL!

I would also recommend a copy of Turn Left At Orion!

You will soon learn the night sky using this book and it also gives you more of an idea about what you can see through different scopes as well as bino's.

Hi and welcome to EMS ,I started my obsession. With the night skies in Munster nord on a site guard,they had some massive binos on piers in the sangars thy gave the greatest views ever

Cheers Pat

Archived