Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

gambled on a bargain.

rory

7d495c3bf3d4b717a09e813916882496_17288.jpg?dl=1336236539

took a gamble on a e bay item. due to price had to make a quick decission as to weather it was worth the punt or not. there was no picture and wasnt well descibed.

so picked this up today. at it even had an upgraded finder on it (antares 8x50 i think ?) bit of a journey to collect ,but made a visit to some relatives while on route.

so price..... £99 ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work! Looks nice and clean. Is it a 250? It's difficult to get the scale from the photo...

Anyway, a bargain for sure. Sometimes the bay does come up trumps!

its a 200 (8") ive alot to learn regarding collimation and if all bits and bobs work , so no doubt there will be beginer questions coming soon, but just wanna get out and try her.

Genuine bargain!

If the finder is upright and not mirror reversed, that's very very good...

As long as no obvious damage to mirrors, and focuser should be fine.

Enjoy!

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Genuine bargain!

If the finder is upright and not mirror reversed, that's very very good...

As long as no obvious damage to mirrors, and focuser should be fine.

Enjoy!

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

yeah, ive a bit to check on ,but early indications look promising, im going to align the finder asap, its a upright image like naked eye.

this was the description, as you can see ,not massive info , but read feedback, and it looked good ,so went for it , i knew it wouldnt be about for long

"

Sorry there is no picture

I bought this telescope from Rother Vallery Optics in 2007 for £240 and have only used it once. I donlt have room to store it anymore

Very good condition. Sold without eyepeice

Buyer collects

"

when i picked it up he told me he paid extra for the finder on top and i could have it ",

needed a good bit of fortune, i had to put my beloved dog to sleep yesterday, after being a companion to me and my kids for 15 years. i shall drink a beer to "mad murphy molson muttly" tonight.

Just paid twice as much for the same scope ... but I am still as happy as a pig in you know what!!! I am sure you will enjoy some great sights in the months and years to come.

thats the one. might not be a bargain yet. ive not actually used it so i could be bragging prematurely, need a clear sky .

You'll be alright. I am sure you'd be able to see any problems (e.g. with the mirrors). Just check the secondary mirror with an angled inspection mirror (like dentists use!).

Then it's just a matter of collimation. Glad you've got something to put a smile back on your face, you've bagged yourself a bargain.

Got to give it you for taking a punt on that listing as I'm sure many wouldn't but it looks like it paid off. Congratulations on the new scope, bargain!!

yeah, i very nearly never bothered,but just going on the guys feedback and later e mails i felt it was worth a go. i think the finder is worth a few quid alone, but the wires that make the crosshairs are a bit wonkey. cant wait to check it out on some galaxies.

From the reviews I have seen of the Antares RA finder scopes I would not start messing with it. If I remember correctly there were problems with them focusing properly so it may be that the original owner has had this problem and did something to resolve the issue and as a result the crosshairs are now wonky. I would see how you get on under night skies first. Either way you will need to think about getting a red dot finder of some sort as it is near impossible to find objects using an RA finder alone.

yeah, ive a bit to check on ,but early indications look promising, im going to align the finder asap, its a upright image like naked eye.

this was the description, as you can see ,not massive info , but read feedback, and it looked good ,so went for it , i knew it wouldnt be about for long

"

Sorry there is no picture

I bought this telescope from Rother Vallery Optics in 2007 for £240 and have only used it once. I donlt have room to store it anymore

Very good condition. Sold without eyepeice

Buyer collects

"

when i picked it up he told me he paid extra for the finder on top and i could have it ",

needed a good bit of fortune, i had to put my beloved dog to sleep yesterday, after being a companion to me and my kids for 15 years. i shall drink a beer to "mad murphy molson muttly" tonight.

Really sorry to hear about your dog, it's a bereavement for the entire family. Their short life is the price we pay for the joy they bring us.

Congrats on your new scope and I hope you get much pleasure from it.

Archived