Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I don't believe it !!!!! 2 Major things broken

Catanonia

Clear night, yeah get some imaging done after a hard days labour in the garden.

NOPE : I must have upset someone.

1. My CCD has died, it give nothing back but flooded 65,000 ADU images after 1 or 2 seconds. Tried everything.

2. My NEQ6 mount just decided to die on me right in front of my eyes as I was trying to sort the camera. Switch on the mount and get NO M.C control. Standalone mode.

Just switched it all off in digust, give up.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no x

Sometimes, it's the weather, other time hardware, or just bloomin bad luck .........

It all tests us.

Do you think it's just a glitch with the mount, so something a bit more horrible ???

Just checked the mount.

Everything is in order, but when I fire up the mount, no initialisation noises and 3 beeps from synscan handset to say no connection to the motors. I was working, then it died. Looks like the motor control board has died. Even reset to factory settings. I only use the mount directly with handset no EQMOD so not that causing the issues. Unless the cable from handset to the mount has died, but can't see that being the case.

As for the ccd, no idea what is wrong with it. I am guessing the CCD board / circuitry has died or gone wrong.

So thats over £3,000 worth of kit barely 3 years old that has died in 5 minutes.

Very sorry to hear this Cat thats a proper kick in the goolies, I'd go and have a bear or three, this might be a long shot but you could try sticking the kit near a dehumidifier for a night just incase its the damp causing problems.

How are you powering these?

Via the mains using the standard power adapters that I have used faultlessly for over 2 years.

I reckon the MCB on the EQ6 has blown. The CCD has been having issues a few times, but according to the images, at 6am this morning it gave up.

Now al it get is black overflooded pictures.

Everything else works fine, lights, computer etc.

The EQ6's have a habit of blowing circuit boards I believe. As for the CCD that's a kick in the teeth - or an excuse for a new camera (every cloud has a silver lining and all that). Seriously though I'm sure QHY can fix it.

The EQ6 in known to blow a coil that is not strictly necessary. You can replace it with a wire. I think it's marked L1 on the board. When you've calmed down a bit, you can google stuff and see it need not be an expensive fix. On the CCD, I don't know, but it's usually a cheap component that fails.

Yes good advice from themos ... take a look in the daytim.. Ive painted a dozen fence panels a shed plus solar painted the kitchen flat roof... I'd be in no shape tonight to try and sort that lot out..

pop open a beer and chill out :blob10:

I feel your pain..

I had the MCB on my EQ6 go a few years back..:blob10:

I had a word with my supplier and although it was strictly out of guarantee he did get it replaced by Optical Vision...so maybe worth talking with your supplier as well.

Good luck with that...and the camera.

Steve

Could be worse...at least it wasn't a neighbor coming home drunk, and driving his truck through your fence and into your shed full of equipment. *Shrug*

That little number happened to my pop a few years back. He got a nice dob, a motor cycle and new metal shed out the whole deal. :blob10:

Could be worse...at least it wasn't a neighbor coming home drunk, and driving his truck through your fence and into your shed full of equipment. *Shrug*

That little number happened to my pop a few years back. He got a nice dob, a motor cycle and new metal shed out the whole deal. :o

Send that guy this way!!! :blob10:

Such a string of bad luck, is it just a co-incidence that you develop a camera and mount fault both at the same time?

How are you powering your kit? Via a fused 12V cable?

As others have said, it could well be a simple job to fix the mount and possibly the camera too. I'd give Bern a call in the morning and ask if he knows what to do with a silent QHY..

All the best,

Mike

Funny that should happen...well not funny but....my QHY9 has given up the ghost as well and will be going back (again) shortly....first the peltier died on me -20 to +24 in the space of 1 sub!...replaced peltier now there is something leaking on to the chip and it looks like the temp sensor is bust because I get a constant reading of 24.6 degrees......ho hum

Thanks all and especially to all those that have offered help.

The CCD has slowly been developing problems and died the night before according to the images.

The mount, well I reckon it is the MCB that has died, I will be taking it to OpticStar tomorrow to see if they can diagnose / test and fix for me.

I will give Bern a call, the QHY9 is now 2 years old and had heavy usage, about time it got an overhaul.

Needless to say, going to be out of action for at least a month.

Of course this just couldn't have happened at a worse time...what with all the clear nights at present!..(sorry not trying to rub it in!)

I sincerely hope you manage to get these issues sorted as soon as possible...

Steve

Of course this just couldn't have happened at a worse time...what with all the clear nights at present!..(sorry not trying to rub it in!)

I sincerely hope you manage to get these issues sorted as soon as possible...

Steve

tell me about it. Even cracked out the old Sony A700 DSLR and a tripod last night with remote shutter..

Sorry to hear about your problems Cat. but I'm a bit worried, as these disaster usually come in threes, so you have one more waiting in the wings ready to pounce :o.

:p Rotten sod!

Cat's car might break down causing no harm to occupant/s and or members of public right out-side a newsagent, whilst waiting for a lift Cat buys a winning euro lottery jackpot ticket is purchased and won...

Just remember who lifted the curse Cat :blob10:

LOL @ you lot.

OK the mount has a duff MCB according to Peter @ OpticStar. Checked my cables and handset on another HEQ6 and worked ok. Tried a new handset and cable on mine all all permitations and definately the MCB

So OpticStar have it and will get back to me on pricing. Since they have it and will probably get shipped for fixing, I have asked for it to be serviced as well, check gears and grease etc as it is nearly 3 years old.

Awaiting for a call from Peter for inal decision as to what to do.

The CCD started working again when I bought it inside. I have stripped, cleaned all contacts and checked. Seems to be working as before, albeit with the known issue of filter wheel connection.

I wonder if the sudden change in air temperature caused the issue or even moisture ?

Either way I am out of action with no mount for a period of time.

Archived