Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did anyone get to see the conjunction ?

spaceboy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I live in a light polluted city of Spain, there are rarely clouds, so the sights this week of the planets drifting by have been outstanding. Jupiter and Venus in their dance of conjunction, and a few hours later, Mars and Saturn skipping in. Can't wait to get a telescope :)

I wish :) I have got to start writing 'cloudy' next to the dates on my calender when I have put something interesting is happening.

I am going to drive anywhere in the country to avoid the cloud for the Venus transit!

Clear here until around 8pm or so. Got some lovely views naked eye plus managed them both in the same fov with the panoptic. Was nice but they need to be a little closer to be a rewarding view - both on opposite sides so you couldn't take them in simultaneously.

Individually they were both great last night at high power. Venus more stable than usual for me and clearly defined phase. Jupiter was the best I've seen for a few weeks. Nice subtle detail outside the main belts though no obvious barges.

Hoping to have another crack at them tonight

Stu

p.s Ella, very pleased you got a good view of them :)

Nothing for me last night, too cloudy here in Bristol. But, as I mentioned elsewhere, I did get lucky last night with relatively clear skies.

I've been pointing out "the two very bright stars" to my daughter and wife every time we get in, or out, of the car, and they're getting a bit fed up with it now :)

I wish :) I have got to start writing 'cloudy' next to the dates on my calender when I have put something interesting is happening.

!

I had considered doing this myself. After noting how many times I actually got out observing last year I was wondering how much of that was down to cloud and how much was due to other commitments. I also figured if I made a note of what nights were clear say at 20:00 in winter and 23:00 in summer I'd also get a better idea if full moon nights do have less chance cloud.

It was unusually cloud free here on the western edge of the pennines! Got to view Jupiter and Venus for about an hour from 6.30pm to 7.30pm (and a look at Mars also), forced the kids to look also! :) To be fair though, for a six and a half and a three and a half they're starting to take quite an interest, although I'm not sure quite what they could see through the EP, ah well!

I thought the Jovian moons looked really cool last night at the time I saw them, they looked like they were in a staggered string formation in between Jupiter and us, I haven't seen them like that before and it was a marvelous sight. Once the kids were to bed I meant to go back out and see what else I could find but by then the clouds had rolled in :).

I'm afraid it was cloudy here last night as well but I can't complain as we had three clear nights in a row over the weekend. Here's a link to the photo's I took on Sunday and Monday evenings.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/180104-jupiter-venus-wide-close-up.html

Mel

Arrrgghhh now I really am gutted. Great pics Mel.

Archived