Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

31 hour M81-82 in the Yvesmobile.

ollypenrice

Olly, I always look forward to your threads in the Deep Sky section, I just know that I'm in for a treat when I open them up, and BOY this one is no exception!!! absolutely breathtaking detail in there, just brilliant!

Stan :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a stunning image, congratulations :D.

I'm on this one too with a slightly different perspective, but only got 90 min of Lum! Anyway the IFN is already showing all over :(. I will post the results sooner.

Congratulations again!

paulo

Olly, thank you for another stonkingly impressive image.

It's a two frame overlapping image? Does that also mean that you processed the galaxies rather differenently?

I had a stab at this the other night and was able to extract smog, fumes, water vapour, dust (on the mirrors) and skyglow. Only FBI might be able to identify that what I have corresponds to what you have in terms of target...

Olly, thank you for another stonkingly impressive image.

It's a two frame overlapping image? Does that also mean that you processed the galaxies rather differenently?

I had a stab at this the other night and was able to extract smog, fumes, water vapour, dust (on the mirrors) and skyglow. Only FBI might be able to identify that what I have corresponds to what you have in terms of target...

Ha, I know the feeling!

In fact I combined the images quite early on but there are differences in the processing of each. I layered in a less-stretched image of the core of M82. This wasn't necessary for M81. I gave the Ha a massive stretch for M82 to get it to contribute. I then gave it a barking mad stretch to get it to bring anything to M81. The key part of the IFN was covered by both sides so got a lunatic 50x15 minutes of Luminance.

Olly

Interesting. I have mine as desktop background at the moment and I'll show you in a few days. I know what you'll say looking at it: "Aren't you gonna turn that thing on then?"

The details in your image are fabulous, a bit like wathing 'Rumble Fish', deep red jets, but not a trace of a stretched red elsewhere.

Ha, I know the feeling!

In fact I combined the images quite early on but there are differences in the processing of each. I layered in a less-stretched image of the core of M82. This wasn't necessary for M81. I gave the Ha a massive stretch for M82 to get it to contribute. I then gave it a barking mad stretch to get it to bring anything to M81. The key part of the IFN was covered by both sides so got a lunatic 50x15 minutes of Luminance.

Olly

Olly,

At what stage did you layer the less-stretched image of the core.......did you do it for each L, R, G and B separately or the composited LRGB image?

Olly,

At what stage did you layer the less-stretched image of the core.......did you do it for each L, R, G and B separately or the composited LRGB image?

There was no need in the RGB, Dave. That was decidedly less deep than the L so decidedly less saturated. I layered in a shorter stretch of the M82 core only in L and in Ha. In both cases the fully stretched core ended up over exposed. Maybe using Pixinsight's Histogram Transformation I could have got the lot in a single stretch but I went for a Ps 'multiple stretch' this time. I just enjoy shaping the final curve myself. I don't make any claims for this approach but I do set out to enjoy working on a picture and feel comfortable with certain tools. I personally could not have got the delicate detail in M82's core using propriety sharpening routines, wavelets etc. That's not to say someone else couldn't do better - but the key word for me is delicate.

Olly

Archived