Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

31 hour M81-82 in the Yvesmobile.

ollypenrice

This would be so easy without the Integrated Flux Nebula but it is now obligatory on images of this region!

Here we have a semi-mosaic (two staggered images) of M81/82/Holmberg IX, and the Flux be with you... Lum 30x15 and 20x15 mins, RGB 2 Hrs per channel per image, Ha 24x30 mins.

Yves' 14 inch ODK and Mesu 2 friction drive plus SX H36. The Mesu calmly knocked out 24 consecutive 30 minute Ha subs without losses. If that ain't good enough for you, what is? Fantastic mount and let's hear it for Lucas Mesu. :D

Processing a reflector image is new to me and I've a lot to learn on star processing but here we go for now. A first draft...

Bigger; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Galaxies/i-LF6KCNh/0/X3/M81-82-HALRGB-WEB-X3.jpg

M81-82-HALRGB-WEB-XL.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is absolutely fantastic Olly - I am hugely jealous of your processing skills!! When I asked about how much data is enough, I wasn't planning on 31 hours!!!!

We were thnking aboout shooting a lot more L data, actually...

You have to be crazy in this game.

Olly

Ruddy hell, that is some amazing work there Olly ... hats off to you! :D

As I couldn't see anything wrong with it - can someone explain what an inverted star core is?

That way when I win the pools, retire somewhere really dark, and spend hours doing something I enjoy - I will know what to look for :(

Smashing Olly.

Now for pulling off something like this, you get the difficult questions.

Did I count 12.5hrs Lum and only 6RGB? Can I presume the RGB was binned, while the Lum wasn't. You have super colour, which isn't washed out. M82 Ha jets look very cool, as does the detail to the core of M81. Well done. I only see 3 stars that look like they had some blurring, or inverting as mentioned.

Never heard of Holmberg IX either. (Or Holmberg I-VIII)

Tom

Smashing Olly.

Now for pulling off something like this, you get the difficult questions.

Did I count 12.5hrs Lum and only 6RGB? Can I presume the RGB was binned, while the Lum wasn't. You have super colour, which isn't washed out. M82 Ha jets look very cool, as does the detail to the core of M81. Well done. I only see 3 stars that look like they had some blurring, or inverting as mentioned.

Never heard of Holmberg IX either. (Or Holmberg I-VIII)

Tom

No bininning with the H36. It produces nasty black shadows* beside the stars. Pity, since at this focal length it would be ideal.

One side got 20x15 minutes L and the other 30x15. (The short side didn't have much in it since they overlap massively.) The colour was six hours per side all in. In order to get the saturation up I added the L a little at a time, increased saturation and noise reduced the result, then added more L etc.

The Ha was interesting. The 11 hours made it possible to tease out the red M82 jets you see in this picture but when initially applied over the red in Blend Mode Lighten the ha layer was totally invisible. It needed a really mighty stretch to register over the red. I then had to remove it from all the background regions to avoid generating noise. It had me worried for a moment! The red jets appear only the Ha layer.

M-82-Ha-CROP-L.jpg

Olly

* Apologies to any Vincent owners out there...

Archived