Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4TH Galloway Starcamp 14 nov 2012

dweebostar

Hi all, we are pleased to announce the 4th galloway starcamp. It will be at the usual venue, which is Drumroamin farm campsite.

Propietors: Lesley & Ralph Shell tel 01988840613

The camp start's on wednesday the 14 november 2012, and run's till Monday the 19th. (5 nights) .

The rates are, electric hookup £13/night. non electric is £11/ night. A deposit of £25 (inc £3 group addmin fee) is payable to secure your booking, and is refundable until 14 oct 2012 to deter weather watcher,s and no show's.

PLEASE BOOK DIRECT WITH THE VENUE

For info on event email me at stevefoy@btinternet.com or pm .

Due to a change in local events i am not certain of a main day event, but will see if possible and update as needed.

see all soon,

cheers steve

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

I've emailed to book the full duration & am looking forward to it!

I was at the site last Saturday night in the freezing cold - but there were clear skies all the way through the night after about 9pm & it was fantastic.

Can't wait to get back there!

Jonathan :D

To whet your appetites:

Got home at lunchtime today, after 3 nights / 4 days at Galloway. Thanks to Mike (Demon Barbour) et al for welcoming me into the warmth of their large static caravan and feeding me 3 breakfasts and 2 dinners.

It was a cloudy all the Thursday and Saturday nights, but we did get a 2.5hr window until about 9.30pm on the Saturday. The seeing conditions were not ideal as there was a stiff breeze and moisture high up in the atmosphere, but I can't complain - we got some Astronomy in. I don't think the dedicated imagers got much joy and my fumbling attempts with a Canon 500D on an Astrotrac produced an indifferent M42 before the clouds rolled in.

However, observed: Jupiter, Mars, Venus, 2.8day Moon, M41, M42, M51, M46, M47, M48, M50, M81, M82, M93, NGC2360, NGC2506 & NGC2509 - so a fruitful session. Some of the Messiers/NGCs around Puppis / Monoceros / Canis Maj are new to me, and very nice they are too.

So ..... it was a good weekend overall, with Steve, Kathleen and me from the Central Scotland Observers Group in attendance, and 11 others from Galloway or northern England. A good crowd. A load of beers got drunk and a fair amount of Single Malt (Isle of Jura, Glen Moray & Tormore) as well. The die hards returned to their tents at 5.30am on the Saturday morning (not me, I was tucked up by 1.30am as I need my beauty sleep).

If you haven't been to Galloway before, you should note - It is VERY DARK. :D Perhaps slightly darker than Kielder, and that is the best I have seen south of rural Perthshire or up in Skye. The galloway site has absolutely flat horizons so is great for observing those southern objects. It is well worth going in November, as if the weather is clear, the skies will be great. I have already booked :(

Cheers

Tom

Hi Mike,

Had a great time, shame about the weather, but it gave us a chance to practice the most important astro lesson, ...... p a t i e n c e .............

The food was brilliant, the standard was very high and plenty of it.

Tom, believes we invited him for his company, but it was really for his washing up skills!!!!!

Tom, I come from the Watford area, i.e. it is 392 miles to Galloway.....

I met up with my mates from DAG late Saturday afternoon at Chapel-le-Dale and the Annual Dinner at the Old Hill Inn was fantastic. So good that we voted to have next year's dinner there!!!!!

I walked in the Dales on Sunday morning ( in heavy mist ) to remove the affects of the booze.

I arrived safely home at 16:00 to beautiful weather and a well deserved rest.

Since I have had my share of rain for the year at Star Parties, SGL 7 has got to be dry.

Reg sends his regards and threatens to attend Galloway 4.

I better stop now and unpack the car..............

Cheers

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Was glad to see a few folk at the wee gathering we had. It helped to get the dust of the travel gear in time for the starcamp season starting again. Also people booking or the 4 th official event this November.

Looking forward to KIelder, and any other meet's i can get to, then seeing everyone up here at the end of the year.

cheers steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marc,

Don't even think about booking Galloway 4, just book.... you will really enjoy it.

As the lads say, it is very dark, ( 7 out of 8 on the scale used by Needless) Ramsbottom by comparison is 4.13 glowing.

At SGL 7 in Hereford the rating is 5.14, a lot of the attendees at SGL are delighted to see dark skies, believe me Galloway is many times darker!!!

On a clear night, the Milky Way is brilliant, you will not believe the amount of stars that are visible.

At Galloway, on a cloudy night you cannot see your hand in front of your face.

On a wet night we have a laugh, play pool and even watch TV in the "games" room. It is a great site, with very co-operative owners.

So the advice is book.....book...book!!!!

I don't travel 400 miles from Watford for nothing!!!!!

Hope to see you there Marc.

Cheers

Adrian

Well I'm already booked too and really looking forward to it! Oh and if you like single malts you will fit in no problems but even if you don't its fine as everyone has a great laugh. I'm looking forward to meeting old and knew folk and holding the pool table ALL night again if its cloudy! :;):)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

As it been ages since I've seen you all Jane and I have booked up for the 5 nights.

One question, how do the electric pitch hookup's work? What sort of plugs and cabling do you need? Or can you just run an extension lead into your tent ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry and Jane,

Glad to hear that you are booked for Galloway 4.

It is a great site.

The camp site use the standard outdoor electrics that you will find at the vast majority of sites in the uk.

To connect to the camp electrics you will need something like......

http://www.maplin.co.uk/15m-camping-cable-reel-with-safety-rcd-510763

15 metres is a useful minimum and will be fine at Galloway.

However, if you can get a 25 metre version (may not be on a drum but loose) that would be better.

You connect the blue round connector to the post on the site and run the cable into your tent. You store the socket bits in the tent to keep them dry, I connect a 4 socket lead to the cable drum. I think the maximum electrical rating for the site is 10 amps.

If you are going to Cumbria 6 we can discuss the options.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived