Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn WOW

cthorpey

Oh wow,

Just seen Saturn for the first time.

Actually had to force myself to breathe out! It has completely blown me away. Very nearly woke Mrs Cthorpey up (it is her scope after all)

Does anybody have any handy hints to stop the aperture fever that is now gripping me??

Pictures and stuff are all amazing but there is definitely something about seeing it for yourself.

Wow.

C.

Yes, seeing Saturn for the first time is a real WOW moment! I remember seeing so much more with my first view than I ever expected to. And I still find it amazing each time I see it!

As for the aperture fever, not sure there is a known cure for it!

I saw it for the first time last week, i was expecting disappointment to be honest as it was the frist time i bothered to go out so late with scope. As everyone's already said, seeing it with your own eyes like that is surreal (and being able to make out Titan, Tethys, Rhea and Dione is a good bonus!).

It's a stunner! :icon_salut:

Saturn has got the most wow factor of all solar system objects in my opinion.

There is no cure for aperture fever, the sooner you accept that the better :icon_salut:

A few people I know on here quite frequently go through this but I just make do with what I have now and is appropriate for me.

Saturn is alway great. I remember seeing it through the 70mm frac at school (friends found out the school had this scope stashed away, so we started an astronomy club). Awesome through even small scopes. It does not matter how often you see it, it remains awesome. You might say that if you are tired of Saturn, you are tired of live (or should at least consider visiting a shrink;))

I remember showing my dad Saturn with my 60mm refractor and he was blown away by what he was seeing.Nice memories as he passed away many years ago,every time I see it I think of him.Priceless.

I too can relate to your post, my dad got me a second hand tasco refractor for christmas, from then i was hooked the moon saturn and venus was the main objects we viewed together.

I lost my dad three years ago now, and saturn always brings comforting memories back, SIMON.

I've not seen Saturn with my scope yet but I saw it when we were in Marmaris, Turkey last year. There was a guy with a scope letting people view for 1 lire. Amazing.[/quote

It's a small world,

I was there last june and looked through that guys scope too :)

I've also just had my first view of Saturn - absolutely stunning!

Unfortunately I'd manage to move my finderscope completely out of alignment so spent half an hour aiming at Saturn but seeing a tiny golden dot in the EP and thinking... "There must be more to it than this!"

So I ended up sweeping the sky with my 32mm until a large splotch came into view. I adjusted the focus and there it was - wow indeed! Once I'd switched to my 9mm I could make out some of Saturn's shades, and of course the ring system was beautiful.

I can't wait until it rises earlier in the evening - hopefully then foggy EPs and icy scopes won't be much of a problem!

Definitely worth all the false starts.

I probably saw Saturn when I was a very young kid. I had a little 3 inch reflector, and knew so little about telescopes, that I am sure such concepts as collimation etc. were completely lost on me.

Some years later, I got an infamous 70mm refractor ( you know the type ) and was absolutely blown away the first time I was able to focus it on Saturn! I was particularly impressed by the shadow the planet cast on the rings. You could just barely make out the "disconnect" on one side of the rings due to the light being cut off by the body of the planet.

Now I have much better scopes, and LOVE to look at the bands on Jupiter, and the changing aspect of the rings of Saturn, but I will always remember those first impressions I had as a little kid and a slightly older one.

Jim S.

Archived