NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camping matt glue

kirkster501

Hope you had a good night last night with the lovely clear weather :)

Anyone suggest a glue than can stick the camping matt material together so I can make a dew shield for my SCT please?

Not sure which way to approach this. Either to make a tube glued along a seam or to glue some velcro so the shield can be opened and be flattened. The glued along a seam method would mean the shield would be crushed in my scope box.

What do you think?

Rgds, Steve

How about gluing the majority of the shield along a seam, then having a velcro tab at the telescope end? That way you can adjust the tightness onto the scope without having to fiddle around with many velcro joints. The material I nmade my shield from took lots of abuse and generally comes (more or less) back into shape.

I'd use either a Hot Melt Glue gun or an industrial adhesive like Stixall.

You can make the edge that you apply adhesive to larger by cutting the joint at an angle, rather than at 90°, which gives more surface area and therefore a stronger joint (but don't forget to allow for the extra width of the joint my making the dew shield a little wider than a butt joint would need).

I used self-adhesive velcro strip.

Does that lose its "stickiness" on the PVC mat though?

Another thought I had was use my wife's sewing machine to stitch it into place... :D

Not being a tight wad but its absurd the money they want for a piece of foam for the ready to buy ones :)

Does that lose its "stickiness" on the PVC mat though?

I have use the standard Velcro adhesive tape Velcro Stick-On Tape - Black - 20mmx50cm from Homebase.co.uk on all of my astro kit and it all lives in a shed outside. I have never had problems with adhesion over the couple of years I have used it.

They also do a 'heavy duty' version for exterior purposes, but I have never tried it Velcro Heavy Duty Stick-On Strips - Black - 2 Pack from Homebase.co.uk

I used superglue along the whole seam on mine. The joint is stronger than the original material (a test piece proved this). I made it a good fit over the end of the scope and it stays put even in a breeze - the overlap may be as little as 2" but it still holds. I have several that get left lying about in the observatory and seem to come back into shape quite easily.

Hi build alot of rc models and to stick foam without melting it the best stuff I find is

UHO por available from model shops its a special mix and always works for me about £3.99 a tube normally.

• 4 months later...

thought id ask on this thread as it fits the topic. ive grabbed a cheapo camping mat.

apart from wanting to know how to join it, which i now do thanks to this thread.im wondering how long should i make it ? more for kkeping out abit of stray light from a close by streetlight. ?

I just kept mine the full width Rory.

I used the adhesive backed Velcro all the way around the top of the OTA and down the seam. Works a treat apart from when I take it apart at the end of the night, makes a huge and very loud crunching noise that I'm sure the neighbours really appreciate at 3am! :(

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I notched mine for the dovetail with a velcrow strap to give it a bit of tension, stuck it together with black duck tape and flockked the inside which was stuck with spray carpet adhesive, I've used this for lining boxes as well.

Archived