SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What are you planning to buy or is on your wishlist for 2012?

jonathan

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a good mount to put the 8SE on? I have found that my 8SE has out-grown the Celestron goto mount that it came with, what with the focuser, 2" diagonal, and numerous heavier eyepieces than was probably originally intended. I might put a smaller telescope on that mount but not the 8SE any more, don't think I would want to do without my lovely focuser or 2" eyepieces..

I will initially be running it on the SE mount. Don't have 2" e/p's, but am considering an improvement to the focuser at some point - probably something along the lines of http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/168321-hands-free-focuser.html

Top of the list to buy is a decent eq mount, making progress towards it :D

Hoping for a bit of a windfall later in the year so possibility of looking at either a 12"(or maybe smaller depends how scary I find the size!)Flextube or a Skymax180 the size of mount I manage to get will probably dictate which!

I will initially be running it on the SE mount. Don't have 2" e/p's, but am considering an improvement to the focuser at some point - probably something along the lines of http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/168321-hands-free-focuser.html

The main problem I have encountered with the 8SE on the supplied Celestron Goto mount is that there isn't enough room for the diagonal and anything else that might have been added to the back of the telescope, it hits the mount when it attempts to look high in the sky, which is a little disconcerting as I don't want it to start grinding gears.

That is not to mention difficulties with balancing the telescope along the dovetail and wobble too.

My wanted list is short, a BGO 18mm and im thinking of looking out for a secondhand HEQ5

the BGO18mm is now sorted:D i will need a bahtinov mask for my 180 pro and think i will save for the heavy mount, might get an EQ6 and just be done with it:eek:

A light 'travel scope' which I can take off to local dark sky sites a bit more easily than my Tal-1! I shall be watching the returning 'For Sale' section with interest :D

And if I were to be the lucky recipient of an unexpected windfall - a decent imaging set-up.

the BGO18mm is now sorted:D i will need a bahtinov mask for my 180 pro and think i will save for the heavy mount, might get an EQ6 and just be done with it:eek:

The NEQ6 is not as difficult to handle as I first thought, though it is a hefty piece of metal, if it's held correctly it's quite easy to carry and mount properly.

I haven't managed to do a precise alignment with mine yet so perhaps an illuminated polar scope should be added to my wishlist..

I know I'm being greedy but in 2012 I want to buy:-

SW Skymax 180 pro

ST80 guidescope with an autoguider camera

A PST solar scope

An upgrade from my HEQ5 PRO to a HEQ6 PRO

OIII & neodymium filters

Some might disagree but I don't think thats too much to hope for!:p

Jeff

The NEQ6 is not as difficult to handle as I first thought, though it is a hefty piece of metal, if it's held correctly it's quite easy to carry and mount properly.

I haven't managed to do a precise alignment with mine yet so perhaps an illuminated polar scope should be added to my wishlist..

NEQ6 has an illuminated polar scope :p There's a setting on the handset for LED brightness for the polar scope.

I don't need to spend more - just spend time in the field.

Not spending a penny till October. Sharesave in work matures- been saving a chunk every month for 5 years now.New Kitchen for the wife Tec 140 for me. Not being sexist by the way I did say she could have anything she wanted -within reason! Last big splurge before kids take it all.

cheers

Dave

NEQ6 has an illuminated polar scope :icon_salut: There's a setting on the handset for LED brightness for the polar scope.

I don't need to spend more - just spend time in the field.

I have the SynTrek handset, there's no mention of polar scope illumination. :p

I have the SynTrek handset, there's no mention of polar scope illumination. :p

Now I understand. The mount itself is the same between SynTrek and SynScan. The only difference is the SynScan can instruct the mount to switch the light on. Alternatively if you replace the handset with an EQMOD/ASCOM type of control mechanism then it's possible for the computer to instruct the mount to illuminate the polar scope.

Archived