Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Shed or not???

Hi all.

I read recently about the advantages of not dismantling your scope after each use.

I've just had a bit of a clear out in my garden shed and would you believe it.....there's a space just big enough for my scope and kit!!

I'm unsure as to wheather to cover it or not? I'm not worried about dust, it has an end cover and a cap on the ep. I'm thinking about the damp in the air.

Any advice please?:icon_salut:

Thanks

Daz.

Thanks for your advice everyone. A pet heater sounds like it should do the trick.

As for turning my shed into an obs, i'd love to but i think her indoors would have a few choice words to say about that.

Not worth the hastle!

Thanks again.

DC

• Sad 1

• 7 years later...

Some discussion about pet warming blankets on a couple of threads so here's a picture of mine, comes with standard 12 volt cigarette plug and I connect it to a 12 volt LA battery, also got a solar panel to help keep the battery charged but it doesn't put out enough in the winter.

Got woolly bobble hats on the cameras covered with shower caps to keep them cosy.

Dave

Pet-blanket.png.5a6a31418628601446995ef09c663ad1.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

i kinda like bringing my scopes inside its a display for the living room anyway. if your set up is not ap with tons cords wrapped dew stuff and power then it takes alot less to take it down set it up etc. i guess thats y i dont use power tanks either or powered dew sraps its just more items to carry i just want take out tripod and mount then ota then my ep case and dewcap than wait 30 min and start.

joejaguar

Just a question.....

Since the beginning of autumn, I've started to keep my TS Optic's AZ5 and SkyTee 1 outside in a brick shed. The mounts are kept in large cloth bags with a few packets of silica gel thrown in and the tripods are stored in large canvas bags. About once a month I run a dry cloth over the mounts, quickly wax the metal parts with a decent Turtle or Renaissance wax and give a little dab of WD40 on the nuts and bolts. There doesn't appear to be any signs of damp, mould or mildew on the walls or ceiling of the shed but it does get rather chilly in there. All optical gear - eyepieces, scopes, filters - are stored indoors and the mounts are completely manual.

Do you guys think I'm being overly protective or would it make sense that the mounts are wrapped in pet warming blankets? And do you have any other other tips for keeping mounts in sheds rust free and running smoothly as if bought yesterday?

Edited by Rob Sellent
  • Like 1

My observatory looks like a shed. The roof rolls on to wht is basically a pergola frame alongside. Complete with triffids sorry her pretty plants that keep growing over the roof runners.

Spending on a new shed and upgrading it to roll off was my best astro spend ever. 2007 and still standing.

David.

• Like 2

On 17/12/2011 at 22:30, DazC said:

Hi all.

I read recently about the advantages of not dismantling your scope after each use.

I've just had a bit of a clear out in my garden shed and would you believe it.....there's a space just big enough for my scope and kit!!

I'm unsure as to wheather to cover it or not? I'm not worried about dust, it has an end cover and a cap on the ep. I'm thinking about the damp in the air.

Any advice please?:icon_salut:

Thanks

Daz.

Daz you have to do it. For all of us that have not, cannot or would love the idea. Put your build on here, I would like to see it as next year I have plans for a chicken house obsy. ROR Obsy that looks like a chicken house with out door run that is actually the structure the roof rolls onto.

Never know I might get some hens just to make it look authentic.

Marv

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

A shed is not just for Christmas, it's for life.

:icon_mrgreen:lly

You've just reminded me of a story my dad tells about someone (either a relative or more probably another resident of the road where he lived) for whom (he claims) this was very much true when he was growing up in the 1950s.  Apparently said chap pretty much lived in the shed at the end of the garden because his wife rarely let him into the house.

James

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, JamesF said:

You've just reminded me of a story my dad tells about someone (either a relative or more probably another resident of the road where he lived) for whom (he claims) this was very much true when he was growing up in the 1950s.  Apparently said chap pretty much lived in the shed at the end of the garden because his wife rarely let him into the house.

James

We have a chap round the corner in exactly that circumstance,
but he lives in an old and non mobile motorhome.

• Sad 1

On 15/12/2019 at 22:00, JamesF said:

James

Seems like a great recipe for a perfect marriage  😃

Does that mean you can buy all the astro gear without running it by the bank manager? I'm off to buy a shed I just need to speak to her indoors first :(

Or just stick the other half in the shed? :)

My RoR is a double one two in tandem.
Both have permanent piers, but only the front one is used for astronomy.
The rear one is used to house the Laptop, and is also a warm room.
It stays remarkably dry in there, so no damp worries. 
This image is old, the mount carries the MN190 at present. 
Power supply cable to a distribution box.  plus USB  cable  to a Startech Hub,
means all the cables for addons don't litter the surrounding area. 
Outputs are set to service different devices. Since this picture was taken, the Dist. Box
is attached to a saddle that can be parked on whichever scope is on the mount,1300836131_Setup1.thumb.jpg.24b7a2a65b1215efaef8e6dbd260d71a.jpg

• Like 1