Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bah humbug!

MjrTom

Just wondering if anyone else has a dislike of our Tradition of Guy Fawkes night?

Just before dark the skies were the clearest they have been all week now they are full of smoke and my neighbourhood sounds more like bahgdad than St helens....

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, it's an important part of our history and heritage. Celebrate it while you still can! 'Elf and saftey and the polictically correct brigade will soon have it banned and replaced with something far less interesting.

(But celebrate by going to a public display, not in your back garden!)

At least it's only one night (or two) per year.

I myself went out to the garden with my binocs to observe the various bonfires and displays from the comfort of a sun lounger, as our garden goes up one side of the vale of Pickering so from the top we can see right to the other side.

Have to say, I haven't heard half as many bangs and whizzes as usual, must be an expensive luxury that many people just can't afford right now.

You ought to see the quivering big scary dobermann that is trying to make herself fit into the smallest places in the house (usually near me)

poor girl

the old english sheepdog on the other hand hardly bats a n eyelid

Evening All,

Just a short comment to Mjtom ref the fireworks and pollution, light or otherwise.

Spare a thought for those, probably incredibly few, astronomers in China when Chinese New Year comes around. Not just one night, but a whole sodding week in the run up to the night itself, when mayhem breaks loose.

During this time, you can walk along to most street corners in China and find fireworks for sale on the pavements. But they are not fireworks as we know, Jim.

These are multiple battery mortars, 1 metre cube, with up to 200 mortars that launch every second.

This is extreme pollution that actually seriously gives the “normal” pollution of the city a good going over.

It even makes the light pollution of Singapore look feeble.

For a pyromaniac though, it is Nirvana.

But, God bless em, it’s only once a year. Apart from New Year of course.

Do they still do roast potatoes and cinder toffee round the bonfire these days?

My only problem is that our Parrot is not too happy with all the bangs etc.

Cheers

Dave

Yeah not to into it at all really. I went to the local display and it was pretty uninspiring and I wished I hadn't bothered.

And if you put a bit of thought into what it's actually about, and most people don't, then it's really pretty grotesque. We celebrate burning another a man to death on a bonfire. It's really, really horrible thing to do.

It used to massively upset my little boy up to age of 6. I can't imagine how it must torment the wildlife each year.

The best and most amazing rocket I've ever seen was the Saturn V and even though I only watched it on TV that was something truly awe inspiring.

It's clear in in terms of cloud but there's a fire burning about 20 meters from the back of my house from the locals so a bit smokey. So I'm taking darks outside while the temp about right for what I need. It's the noise waking up my little one I was initially concerned about, however, for one night only seems to be sleeping through so far. If this works I'll be having automated fireworks every night.

I don't massively mind firework night although I have never seen sense in literally blowing my own money up so I just don't bother buying fireworks. Not too bad here ATM, the mist/fog is the real downer to the evening but even so I had a short session out looking at the moon.

Just come in from my back garden watching the display at Lewes that's about 8 miles from where I live they have always been very impressive even that far away very big and very loud when you see them explode in the sky it takes about 10 seconds for the sound to get here I love it :)

i think personally they should be banned for personal use and only used for public displays. i was neally seriously injured by one exploding in the back of my box van lucky i was in a seperate fridge compartment at the time.

tonight delivering counted at least 6 hitting the van after exploding and one hit the side as i was driving past and went off, so given the choice i would ban them all. its gone all too commercilised now and i feel sorry for the poor familys who feel like they have to "spend" money which litterly goes up in flames instead of buying food

The smoke is starting to clear now :)

If guy Fawkes night lasted just one night I would be happy.

However fireworks have been going off all week including the local yobs chucking them about in the street....

It begs belief that we restrict the sale of fertiliser because people made explosives from them, limit the sale of paracetamol to one packet but every year we sell fireworks which are basically explosives to anyone who has the money to buy them.

Don't get me wrong I love to attend professional fireworks events but what I am not so impressed about is fearing for my own safety whilst on the streets!

Anyway off my soap box now ;)

I love the fact that only we as British can celebrate the foiling of a plan to blow stuff up, by blowing stuff up!

It's bonkers but I love it. :)

Heehe, know what you mean,

likewise I am always astonished that past wars and military campaigns can be commerated by the firing of guns and maroons.

I regret that I cant endorse the passive public viewing events where lots of £ go up in a pretty display, better bu far is a neighbourly or family bonfire ( assisted if necessary by a closet pyrotechnician !) ( I was educated in chemistry when it was ok to make bangs in the chem lab and quad.)

The smoke is starting to clear now ;)

It begs belief that we restrict the sale of fertiliser because people made explosives from them, limit the sale of paracetamol to one packet but every year we sell fireworks which are basically explosives to anyone who has the money to buy them.

:) yeah indeed.

Plus the local youths are hanging around the fire now, yes still at 01:40. Still, darks are firing away.

i dont mind the fireworks, but it turned lovely and clear so i could have set my tal up for a bit of double star work, i did manage to get a couple of shots of the moon last night just as it got dark, just need to get time to process them now and see if i got any decent ones

Archived