Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bah humbug!

MjrTom

Bit of a problem around here with fireworks going off for weeks but I guess that goes with any large town or city. Aside from that, the local display is excellent and I am really looking forward a couple of years until Emily is old enough to go. In the meantime, we had a little display in the garden using a £ 20 box selection (reduced from £ 40) from our local One-Stop shop; remarkably good value, Emily loved it - even the reasonably loud bangs - and I am heading back today to but another box for Christmas.

As far as soap boxes go, expecting people to NOT enjoy bonfire night our other celebrations so we can carry on observing puts us in a similar place to anyone else wanting to keep their security light on or drive their quad bike round all night. A little tolerance makes the works a much better place! Usual caveats regarding safe use, etc., apply.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We celebrate burning another a man to death on a bonfire. It's really, really horrible thing to do.
We celebrate the thwarting of a terrorist attack that thereby saved a hundred or so lives. Reason enough to celebrate IMHO.

It annoys me when people let them off way early or late though. Keep it to the 5th November or the nearest weekend.

And yes I did fill the clear skies with sparks and smoke yesterday evening.

I'm not against fireworks night I loved it when I was a child and we used to have a neighbourhood bonfire which all the kids built over the previous 4 weeks, every-one watched each others fireworks, and the show offs always had to have the biggest and best. Then we used to come indoors and have baked potatoes. Memories......

However looking on the practical side, they are dangerous and many people get burnt each year, perhaps they should be restricted to organised displays only. Animals get scared, both domestic and wildlife, and I for one am asthmatic and always find my breathing is very bad the day after the 5th November and these days with every-one spreading the day over several days, this lasts even longer.

It has also been considered whether that awful pile up on the M5 near Taunton might have been caused by firework distraction (I'm not quite up to date on the news on this though).

As some-one said above, falling rockets on innocent passers by.

I guess if you don't like it, stay indoors and look after your frightened pets.

Carole

I really like it but agree that a public display is best. not from a H&S perspective though - it's just better! I went to one organised every year by the local authority and it's astonishingly good. everyone there, young and old (several thousand people) loved it and came away with a real feelgood 'factor'. all free too. well done Tameside MBC!

even better was the fact that the fireworks were exploding in front of the moon so did some naked eye observing of it and Jupiter too. a lovely backdrop.

they are a bit of a pain (and generally rubbish) from gardens though.

its only 1 night a year and i love the fireworks as do most children and adults alike.

op get over it.

If it was only one night then I would be happy. Fireworks have been going off for weeks and I bet it will carry on for longer now people will be buying up the stocks at a cut down price.

Get back in your hole.

OK guys, that's one-one - play nice. :)

Sorry :)

Back on topic, I did manage to get some very nice views of Jupiter last night around 1am when things had quietened down a bit, still the odd firework going off but nothing like the war zone it sounded like earlier in the night.

I awoke at 5am this morning and the skies were still clear so dragged the scope out into the garden again. As Jupiter was disappearing below the horizon and Saturn was not high enough yet I tried Mars instead which is currently high up in the constellation of Leo.

It was the best view I have had of Mars to date and was sure I could make out a polar ice cap as well as the obvious 90% illumination.

I am not sure if it was down to seeing conditions, using a 4 inch refractor instead of the 3 inch or if it was the new 9mm Ortho which contributed to these excellent views.

Oh and for the record the fireworks are still going off at 2pm in the afternoon. :)

I really like fireworks I must add. My take is purely from a safety issue.

IF they are used in a sensible way, as directed then I have no problem with them.

I actually gaffer taped my post box closed last night as the local yobs cant be trusted as reported in the local papers last year.

If they are willing to chuck them under moving cars I am not risking my home burning down...

I'm sure it's a conspiracy against us who are in our element during what is commonly known the best season of the year for astronomy...we'll be complaining about the neighbours' Christmas lights in a few weeks time...:)

Haha yeah Sam! :)

I'm in two minds.

For years tended to be more on the 'anti' side - mindful of incidents like the time ages ago, when a Jumping Cracker was lobbed at me when I was confined in a small and somewhat - embarrassing - space (no details are necessary, none will be given :) ).

But they do give enormous pleasure to lots of our youngsters. Why be a killjoy? I used to love setting them off myself, when I was a kid (under the watchful eye of my father, of course).

Also, this time of year is not usually the best for astronomy - seeing is often poor and weather can be unpredictable.

I think a distinction should be drawn between the ground-based 'pretties' that don't launch projectiles into the sky, and those that do, rockets, etc. The latter certainly need to be under control.

I just thought I would mention to those who think Guy Fawkes was burnt alive, he was not, he was hanged drawn and Quartered. No one really knows the origin of the bonfire for the 5th but there are a few probable theories. The fireworks on the other hand are meant to represent the gunpowder.

Archived