Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The South Wales Lounge

garethmob

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gaz, Is your 1941 stationary engine a one lung, hit or miss engine ?

Can you post a photo ?

I saw one for sale recently in a building next door to the new " Rehola Market ". My Wife said I need another project, like I need another telescope. She loves observing, so I'm not sure what she meant ?

Edit: > > > Off topic post continued from "Clear Skies Diary S. Wales 2013" thread.

she's a 4 stroke villiers one of the first lot of mk25 she's a little war veteran with a mod plate . I'd love a hit miss but my technical skills are still beginner ATM hence why I went for this instead. My mates got a 1918 lister d

How much is the H&M?post-9175-137114302332_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Lol Kwl. Well I'm sure u would make her into a nice project :). Iv always wanted a stationary engine (would love a wolsley tho eventually) but my skill level is lower hence the small 3hp bike engine. What would you use her to drive?

Lol Kwl. Well I'm sure u would make her into a nice project :). Iv always wanted a stationary engine (would love a wolsley tho eventually) but my skill level is lower hence the small 3hp bike engine. What would you use her to drive?

I used to have a "Golden Gate Jobber" printing press years ago. Always thought it would be neat to run it off the belt drive wheel with a one lung motor, instead of the foot pedal. It would be fun to mount one in a small boat and go putting around a lake also.

If I had the time to build it, I would love to have a small marine steam engine and boiler, which I'd use to boil and pump hot water into a steampunk style of jaccuzi hot tub ; Aaaah, the good life !

Ooooooo that sounds Kwl there was a cheap steam stationary engine on eBay not long ago but missing its boilers. Like the hot tub idea! But put it in doors lol

Ooooooo that sounds Kwl there was a cheap steam stationary engine on eBay not long ago but missing its boilers. Like the hot tub idea! But put it in doors lol

If it ever happens (pipe dream) it will be outdoors and the tub will be about 12' in diameter, and why not, I've been paying full water rates on a house that's been under construction for several years and unoccupied.

Edit: Paying money for nothing. :sad:

Tinkered with a cheap LED head lamp the other day. I took it apart and cut off all but 4 diodes, cut red discs from a plastic notebook cover and put it back together with the discs over the lens. It now emits a dim red light. :smiley:

Click on photos to enlarge.

post-21902-0-14225400-1371840363_thumb.j

post-21902-0-86556300-1371840377_thumb.j

post-21902-0-08282000-1371840388_thumb.j

We all amass bits and pieces over time in this hobby. Some items works well, and others tend to gather dust in storage. I've been sorting through gear to develop a minimal kit, with only the items I use most.

( which lately seem like none :grin: ).

Of the different lights I've used, I find that I prefer a clip on mini military type torch for general purpose, and a mini Mag Light for chart reading. Although red lights are commercially available for Astronomy, I have found it simpler and cheaper to modify standard torches to suit my needs. All that's needed is a red plastic notebook cover, a pen, scissors, and a black "Sharpie" marker for touch up. I take out the existing lens and use it to trace with. It's a simple matter to fit one or two red discs over the lens cell to get the required dim light. The discs cut from the dull red notebook cover seem to work better than the red filters supplied with the commercial lights.

Edit: What do find works best for an Observing light ?

Click photo to enlarge.

post-21902-0-94913600-1372004262_thumb.j

post-21902-0-03054500-1372004302_thumb.j

post-21902-0-41097900-1372004313_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

With the current weather, I've finally been able to get a complete week's worth of work done. :biggrin:

Can chill out tonight and tomorrow. Mrs. L8-Nite and I are looking forward a relaxing day, and tomorrows Observing meet. :smiley:

Archived