NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camping Vs Motor Home

Hi Guys

With SGL7 approaching along with my intention to pop off to dark skiy sites my self on occasion what would you do & why?

You see i hate camping, however i wont deny myself superb views at a long weekend or star party, so the way i see it i have two options..

Luxury Camping, big tent, heater, portable kitchen etc (the list is upto £930)

or

Rent a Motor home for £350 a go...

I cant decide where to invest my pennies, what would you do?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I camped for 1 night at SGL4 and nearly froze to death so I've bought our caravan for the past 2 events and I've not regretted it one bit ;)

I'm a bit of a wimp though now I'm over 50 :)

If you have a suitable car you can rent caravans to self-tow I think.

Most of the folks at SGL6 were under canvas to be fair though and they all looked well enough to me each morning :(

Hi

I am currently converting an old army ambulance into a camper to carry me and all my kit to remote dark sky sites.

Planning on a few trips to some really remote areas with a Big scope.:)

Being four wheel drive it can get right into the wilderness which makes camping so much more special and the nights so much darker.

At the moment for over-nighters I just take a tent, but I used to do a bit of mountaineering so I have some excellent warm kit.

Regards Steve

I would love to own a Camper Van, not only for SP's, but as a means of getting away on a regular basis, just me and the wife to visit as many of the beautiful places in the Lake District an Scotland. Places that are on our doorstep, and we've neglected to visit over the years.

I certainly wouldn't hire one, as comfortable as they are, that is far too expensive, especially when you add the fuel costs too.

Take a tent, there is electricity on site, and a tent can be very cosy and comfortable. Anyway, the cameraderie of a Star Party always comes to the fore, and outweighs any minor discomforts.

You'll love it :).

Ron.

If you can afford it then get the motorhome - time at star parties and dark sites is way too precious to be putting up tents and cooking under canvas.

If it's too heavy on the budget then the the tent can be had for the price of three RV rentals and you don't have to take it back. :)

I've only been to the super Kelling Heath events, for the price of a motorhome rental you can book a luxury 6 berth static caravan. If you can get a couple of mates along to share, it can work out quite inexpensive. :).

We borrow my inlaw's motorhome for camping with the kids - It's great having kitchen, bathroom, cupboards, separate area for the kids to sleep etc. When the weather turns you close the doors/windows and you are nice and comfortable. Awning on the side as an area for the dog - It's all perfect.

The downside is 20mpg (plus we take our car for travelling once there and set up). We went to cornwall a couple of months ago and it cost us £140 of diesel and £60 petrol to get there. As members of camping & caravanning club the 7 nights cost us £70 in total, so the diesel was twice this cost!

We've since got ourselves a huge 1970s frame tent and can fit everything/everyone in the car - not as comfortable as a motorhome, but much cheaper to get to places.

Motor homes cost a fortune to buy and run. I took a tent to SGL6 and was as warm as toast, some people only take a sleeping bag, I take e a duvete as well. Lots of warm clothes help as well.

As for cooking under canvas, I found a great chip shop in Hereford only 10 - 15 mins away in the car :)

I've had a posh bought motorhome with shower and I've made my own fairly complex conversion but they are both expensive options if you are honest about what they really cost. Spaceboy, sleeping in a bare van is X10 colder that sleeping in a tent, believe me. I have done vast amounts of both!

Tents are not cold, you just need the right gear. Heaters in tents? What??? Oh no!

The camper van is a great astro accessory though and second hand caravans and trailer tents are mucky cheap and, if not as good, not bad.

Hard Man Olly (retired!!!)

Spaceboy, sleeping in a bare van is X10 colder that sleeping in a tent, believe me. I have done vast amounts of both!

:) What's a motor home ? Is this not just a van with all the frills ?

I'm not doubting your experience Olly but I would much rather sleep in a van during a hale storm than a tent any day. Vans can be adapted to accept power hook ups easy enough so a heater can be used and it saves all that comedy act of trying to erect a tent. Not to mention all the hassle you have to go through drying the tent if it was subjected to rain.

Never mind it was only a suggestion. My thinking was you can spend a fortune on caravans, tents, motor homes or trailer tents to only use now and again. At least with a van you would get more use out of it than 10-20 times a year. Maybe even earn a little on the side couriering or some thing?

I've been camping, of one sort or another, many times, but now prefer a bit more comfort so a caravan would be my choice. Get to site, setup in 15 minutes, and you still have your car to visit the local area ;)

Campervans are more expensive, and if you do want to tour the local area (beyond walking/cycling range) then you have to secure everything in the campervan before you set off :)

The way i see it is that the money spent on hiring a camper is money lost. At least with the tent and other stuff you will own it an d never have to lose any more money. I don't think that you have to spend quite as much on camping gear though, I got a very good 6 person tent for £100, it could actually sleep 10 at a push, from millets. Air matresses are pretty cheap also. I always take my duvet and pillows and have found that investing in 3-4 sheepskins to lie on works wonders for keeping you snug snd warm. I reckon the sheepskins will be the most expensive items to buy but you should be able to get everything i've mentioned for less than £300. Have fun.

Buy the biggest, most ugly, motor home possible. You may use it rarely, but it can be parked conveniently on your front lawn, for the remainder of the year, and your neighbours can enjoy looking at this monstrosity as well. [Only Teasing!] :)

In fairness, my neighbours offered me £20 quid(!) a month, to have it parked on MY driveway! Apparently it is only the "same size as a standard car" - Ignoring the "double bed" on the roof, I guess? ;)

How about a trailer tent, cheaper than a motorhome and you sleep on the trailer so your not on the floor bit of a half way house.

I have a trailer tent best of both worlds, cheaper than a caravan/motorhome more comfort than just a tent. They can be got quite cheap on the likes of Ebay. Easier to tow than a caravan and if balanced correctly dont add much to your MPG.

Im happy with mine.

... I got to say it ..... 930 quid for a tent ........wow you can get good 4or 6 man tent bout 100 on. EBay , plus two ring stove with grill bout 35 ... blow up bed :... 20 from Tesco ..... and a duet ..another 15 ... job done ... 160 all in ....

... I got to say it ..... 930 quid for a tent ........wow you can get good 4or 6 man tent bout 100 on. EBay , plus two ring stove with grill bout 35 ... blow up bed :... 20 from Tesco ..... and a duet ..another 15 ... job done ... 160 all in ....

No the tent was £130 its all the additionals to go in it, im starting competely from scratch.

After spending most of my life outdoors my bones have told me lying on the deck is not good so I have been looking at the motorhome idea for awhile, it would supply comfort, cover, cooking and best of all power for the equipment, a no brainer :).

Jim

I am lucky , I was in the right place at the right time and purchased this van , Its a bit of s one off and was a coachbuilt special order for Somerset Council

It had Family First and early learning center stickers on it ( Now removed )

Its a LDV 2002 ( All Transit running gear ) 2,5 TD 5 speed , and when I purchased it the mileage was 6500 Klm's :) hardly run in , Apparently the council only used it for county shows and fates etc :(

Its fully insulated has a toilet compartment , Diesel heating , mains hookup , water , microwave , 2 roof lights , Tail lift , blinds , storage lockers , lots of strip lights , the list goes on and on ;)

It looks like this

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

as you can see its like new even underneath

IMG_0664.jpg

I have a few miner alterations to do but its a great vehicle

Allen

:) What's a motor home ? Is this not just a van with all the frills ?

I'm not doubting your experience Olly but I would much rather sleep in a van during a hale storm than a tent any day. Vans can be adapted to accept power hook ups easy enough so a heater can be used and it saves all that comedy act of trying to erect a tent. Not to mention all the hassle you have to go through drying the tent if it was subjected to rain.

Never mind it was only a suggestion. My thinking was you can spend a fortune on caravans, tents, motor homes or trailer tents to only use now and again. At least with a van you would get more use out of it than 10-20 times a year. Maybe even earn a little on the side couriering or some thing?

It's a van with insulation. The difference is boggling. You breathe out water and this needs to go somewhere and be channelled out of the vehicle. The bare tin of a van will be delighted to absorb your body heat!

I've never had any issues mountaineering at altitude in tents under hail, rain or snow. It doesn't get in!

Olly

I've been camping, of one sort or another, many times, but now prefer a bit more comfort so a caravan would be my choice. Get to site, setup in 15 minutes, and you still have your car to visit the local area ;)

Campervans are more expensive, and if you do want to tour the local area (beyond walking/cycling range) then you have to secure everything in the campervan before you set off :)

Beyond cycling range??? How far is that? Gosh crikey, no decent cyclist will ever consider anywhere out of range. Well, okay, the moon!

Olly

Archived