Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A first hello

Mountain View

Not sure how this done done, but here goes

I am new to SGL, am retired and now spending time on a lifelong interest that I've too little time on, hope to make up for that now.

A few years ago I bought an Adler Mak 70mm 30-90 zoom- didn't know what I was doing really. Its been useful and now of course I am looking something that will improve my interest and yet stay portable. I often get to remote sites with our caravan and have less light polluted skies. I've taken an interest in local Astronomy groups and hope to shortly join Cardiff AS

Any advice on equipment for a limited budget will be most welcome

Thanks

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Mountain View, welcome to SGL :)

Depends just how limited you're limited budget is, but a Dobsonian mounted Newtonian reflector will give the most bang for your astronomical buck.

Something like this 6" Dob will offer a significant increase in aperture over your current 'scope, capturing more light and giving deeper views and more resolution. It's portable and should fit neatly in a corner of a room/your caravan.

If budget and storage space allow, then an 8" Dob would be better still and should still be manageable.

HTH :icon_eek:

Hi and welcome to SGL.

As some others have said already, you get a good aperture size for your money with reflectors on Dobsonian mounts.

I don't own one myself but from what I hear 6" - 8" models fit nicely in the car and are easy to use.

Hello and welcome,

If you are tight on space in the caravan try a Mak or a short tube refractor.

Dark sites abound try Preseli Hills, Pembrey or Marloes (after 3pm the car park man has gone!). Down to South Wales for us on the 25'th, st120 and AZ3 in the roof box!.

Hi, MV, and welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you hold off making a purchase until you have joined Cardiff AS, and maybe go on a 'meet' with other members, get a chance to try out some scopes and see what suits you. That said, a dob will give you a lot of aperture per pound if you can cope with navigating the skies and are fit enough to be able to carry it. By the time you get to a 10" dob, that is quite a hefty beast!

HTH

Archived